Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: 40 weight oil for Detroit's

Rather than research which oil is best for the old Detroit's I just kept using the Detroit Diesel brand which
    I know is probably just a rebranded formulation made by one of the major oil companies. I think the
    stuff I used was made by Mobil oil company. It is still available but costs a little more but it's still worth
    it to not mess up an engine which would cost many $ to repair.

Walt

Yes you can always google it and get some answers but what fun is that? Start a post here and get some good info, some sarcasm and some attitude in one shot.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Any tips on doing an oil change on 8v71TIs and trans? Should I run them first to warm up the oil, lol, though I am in Florida. Drain the oil before removing the filters?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

You need to run first but it will take a while to drain back down completely, at least my 12V71's do. Maybe 20-30 minutes. First time I ran the engines I went back to the dock and immediately checked oil. It would barely show on dipstick and I was nervous. Waited an hour or so and checked again. Sure enough it was in between the lines.

Hi I came upon this thread. I have a detroit 6-71 inline on a crown coach bus. I need to change the oil this summer and I am looking around. When I purchased this bus in California it had just been partially rebuilt. Mechanics mentioned it was the heads had blown off. I have had the bus for almost a year and have driven it about 2900 miles on different trips. I was told to continue using delo400 sae 40 wt. as that is what it currently has and every 1,000 miles it took about 1 gallon of oil. I havent had any issues yet. Should I continue to use delo 400 for this engine or should I flush the oil for Delo 100 or Mobil Delvac 1240? Delo 400 is easy to find in most auto stores while I am guessing the Delo 100 or Mobile Delvac 1240 has to be ordered.

Also I will run engine for a while, let it warm the oil, then shut engine wait 30-60 minutes for oil to go back down to pan and then do I flush oil from pan first then swap the filters? Put oil into new filters to remove any air? I would really appreciate any feedback

NAPA's house brand SAE 40 (NAPA Part #75118) meets the DD specs and is $59 for a 5-gallon bucket at my local store here in Lower Alabama.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Don't use the 400. The oil needs to be CF2 rated.

And I'd like to see a picture of the Crown. What year?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI