Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 40 weight oil for Detroit's

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    What difference does
    low surface ash make
    2-cycle engines consume (burn) some oil as part of their normal operation. When the oil is burned it leaves ash that deposits on the cylinder walls and must be cleansed during the next piston cycle. The higher the ash content of the oil the more wear on the cylinders as the ash is cleansed.
    Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 12-12-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    What difference does
    low surface ash make
    This link may be helpful:

http://www.tejascoach.com/ddcoil.html

Here is an excerpt:
    1. High ash oils (greater than 1,000 mass % ASTM D-874) tend to form excessive deposits on engine parts, resulting in impairment of their function (exhaust valve closure, for example). These are NOT recommended, except where the continuous use of high sulfur content diesel fuels (greater than 0.5 mass %) is unavoidable and where a high TBN, LOW ASH oil is not available.
    I think more recent spec's show Delo 100 at .85% ash. As to its availability, any Chevron jobber can get it for you. In my case, a three week lead time is required if I want it to arrive freight free from Houston on a regular delivery.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Well, since this thread is here and I am about to do my first oil change.

I was going to go with NAPA 75118 40 wt for the engines (8V71TI), 5 gallons each. Can I use the same oil for the transmissions? I think the (Hatteras) manual said yes, but I was curious if there was a different oil that was better.

Also, how about for the generator? It is a pretty new Cummins-Onan 17MDKBP. The recommendation is multi weight CI-4. I am thinking 15-40 wt. I would prefer it be available at NAPA, and thanks for the NAPA reference here.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post

I was going to go with NAPA 75118 40 wt for the engines (8V71TI), 5 gallons each. Can I use the same oil for the transmissions? I think the (Hatteras) manual said yes, but I was curious if there was a different oil that was better.

Also, how about for the generator? It is a pretty new Cummins-Onan 17MDKBP. The recommendation is multi weight CI-4. I am thinking 15-40 wt. I would prefer it be available at NAPA, and thanks for the NAPA reference here.
    You can use same oil (or 4 stroke oil) in ZF gears, don't know about others.

If C-O gave oil specs they also would have given weight/temp range. I use spec'd oil in15W40 in my NL 20KW.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

You can use any straight 40 in the gears

I always use rotella 15-40 in generators whether NL, Onan or Norpro.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Delo 100 is available from West Marine by special order. arrives on next truck to store.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Worst marine price is 129.99 /5 gallons delivered to the store , Last I bought it I paid 58,25 / 5 gallons delivered to me ! It would be fun to get the "price match" on that .....Pat

Thanks all, I am seriously glad I brought this topic up!Didn't see anything on it using the search function.
    Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post

I have the same engines and use the NAPA 40w oil in the engines and transmissions. Last time I bought it it was under $70 per 5 gallon pail. If you order it online for free delivery to the store of your choice there was a small discount.

I think the NAPA oil is the lowest ash, maybe .8%
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

When I changed my oil 3 months ago it was $82 per 5 gallon pail. This was Southern California prices where everything costs more, even the women.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee