Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Upgrading shore power service from 30 amp to 50 amp.

Have a 43 DC. Has anyone else upgraded 30 amp shore power receptacle and service to 50 amp. If so, did you rewire with heavier guage between the receptacle and breaker? Did 50 amp breaker fit in 30 amp shoreline breaker slot? Was there a need to rewire any of the connections in the box?

Re: Upgrading shore power service from 30 amp to 50 amp.

Upgrading to 125/250-50 will not only require heavier wires between the inlet and panel put also an additional wire for the second hot

If you re talking about 125-50 then no need for a second hot but you should still upgrade the wiring especially considering the age and the fact that back then it may not have been tinned wire.

If you really going to use 125-50 make sure it s available in your area as it s pretty rare nowadays.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

You can NOT use 30 amp sized wire for 50 amps.

Do not listen to anyone that tells you otherwise.

25 foot runs comparing 30 amp and 50 amp loads will require at least on maybe 2 sizes larger.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

He would have to rewire all the parts of the circuit that would have to carry 50A, wouldn't he? That's a lot of wiring.

you could bring 50A 220V in and split it into 2 legs @ 110v, so all you would have to change is the primary wiring to the circuit breaker box. Split the load at the box. Advantage is roughly twice the power, 50A 220 connectors which are much safer and beefier and you keep all the existing secondary wiring intact. ........Pat
    Last edited by doc g; 12-11-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Talking Re: Upgrading shore power service from 30 amp to 50 amp.

It depends on where the inlet and the panel are. If they are not too far apart, or if access is reasonable, then running new wires is pretty easy. At the same time I would also install a circuit breaker near the inlet to protect the wiring between the inlet and the panel.

Regardless of the desire to upgrade, who knows what condition the wiring is after 40 years. I bet that the existing 30amp is often running close to the limit. It would be a nice safety upgrade

When it pulled the original shore power wiring on my boat, I couldn’t believe it had never burned up The 53s have port and starboard 50amp inlets which were spliced together with split pieces of copper and a lot of electrical tape buried in harnesses. All factory wiring. The ends of the wire, at the inlets, were badly corroded as well
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

yes , for sure wire in a 50 amp breaker after the inlet but before the circuit breaker box....Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    you could bring 50A 220V in and split it into 2 legs @ 110v, so all you would have to change is the primary wiring to the circuit breaker box. Split the load at the box. Advantage is roughly twice the power, 50A 220 connectors which are much safer and beefier and you keep all the existing secondary wiring intact. ........Pat
    But who knows what a future owner might decide to do when he finds that new service coming in? Asking for trouble.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

How ?? wired properly a future owner can't overload it nor can the current owner, you are actually pulling less amperage at the primary wiring ie the cord , inlet etc. , Very common to do this as an upgrade. But I will defer to the experts.... ......Pat
    Last edited by doc g; 12-11-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    this is what i did. 1 leg to house, 1 leg to a/c. breaker on each leg just inside the boat connection. new dock cord, boat connection, wiring to each panel and breaker on the house main. oddly, the a/c already had a 50a main breaker on its panel.
    before this, running both 16k a/c units was a challenge.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN