Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras 46c vs 45c series ii

It seems to me that the 45c series ii has a smaller salon area than the 46. Are these the same hull? Or is the 46va bigger boat?

Re: Hatteras 46c vs 45c series ii

Look in the brochures archive on the home page here. They are not the same boats. Roughly speaking, the Series II 45C is a slightly smaller boat, it has more speed potential, it is probably a bit lighter, but still sturdy. Both have their devotees. Look at some of them and get familiar with them. It isn't just the size, the layouts are different.

I did look at the brochures and the power boat guide. None list salon dimensions. They vary very little in length or beam. Just a few inches. They 45 series Ii is supposed to have a huge cockpit which I think they may be pulling from the salon area. I’ve been on both boats shopping just not one right after the other.

Yes....the 46 salon is bigger than the 45 salon which is essentially identical to the 43 salon. The 45 cockpit is quite larger...much larger than on the 43 and at least "feels" larger than the 46 cockpit.

Both the 45 and 46 are excellent boats. The 46 does possibly have a slightly larger Salon but if so its not much bigger. I think it's nearly identical though. The reason I say that is even though the 45 has a much Longer Cockpit, the bow is a little shorter between the leading edge of the house and the pulpit.
    To me the 45 has more balance in the dimensions because I wanted the larger cockpit. The 45 cockpit seems to be about 2 feet longer and is very noticeable when you look at the distance between the fighting chair and the tackle center.
    Up through 1988 model year for the 45 had a single head except for the 1987 Palm Beach addition, and in those year I believe the 46 had a better layout. But from 1989 through 1991 the 45 had the better layout. In those years the 45 had two heads and a "S" Shaped companion way creating space for an offset Island Queen in the Master Stateroom.
    So layout wise prior to 1989 for the 45C I like the 46 layout but from 1989 on the 45 is better in my opinion. I have a 1990 45C so if you have any detailed questions feel free to PM me for my contact information and I'd be happy to help.

Tony