Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Old Door Locks Question

The striker plate on my cabin door has worn out and the door will not latch anymore. I know these locks are NLA, plus the door frame isn't quite straight and square anymore, so it looks like I will have to make a new one myself. The striker that was on it is not the same as the ones on the interior, apparently it has been replaced before.

Looking at the interior strikers there is a notch stamped in the plate further out than the hole the latch engages when the door is closed. It appears that this is intended to be some kind of half catch, kind of like a car door where it can latch without being fully closed. Neither of my interior doors actually work that way. But they don't align spectacularly well either. So if anybody has experience with these vintage locks, what was the purpose of the notch? Should I replicate it, or doesn't matter?

Pic of striker plate:

--- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Re: Old Door Locks Question

Not sure if this will help but I’ve added a washer or two behind the plate between the plate and the frame to help straighten the strike plate. Give it a try it might help.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I ordered some from Sams. They are from Perko. Worked great for my boat.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Good idea SEVEN, thank you, but the hole in mine is worn and/or rotted out. It looks like it's made of pot metal, or by it's more popular name Zamak which is marketing-speak for garbage. The original ones appear to be chrome-plated brass.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    I ordered some from Sams. They are from Perko. Worked great for my boat.
    So they are. The listing says Dexter, and I know the locks themselves are obsolete so I @$$umed the strikers were too. Thanks.

But I'm still wondering what that notch is for.

1970 36C375

Don't know what the notch is for on those. I replaced all of my original locks with old new stock locks. I had my locksmith look online and he found some for me. They are made in Italy and aren't cheap but they are an exact copy of what Hatteras used.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Sam's has them in stock.... Walt