Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Spray Rails on the 34C

Yes we are referring to the same thing. The white round fender shifted during a storm and she rubbed up against the finger pier damaging the splash rail. I thought or wasn't sure if the splash rail does more than protect the hull. Other than protecting the hull (in the case you described) does it provide any other benefits? If removed, what are/ if any CONS or are there any PROS?

There are numerous articles online regarding the use or non use of spray rails. Most talk about keeping a boat dryer and pushing the water while underway away from the windshield. I can’t see anything in regards to the side spray/splash rail. The big one foe me is the protection as mentioned before. It might also be helpful when your boat is rolling from side to side. Maybe others can add their thoughts.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

We always referred to that piece a "rubrail". The dock should have uprights about every 8-10" so the rubrail and the rail at the sheer keep the hull from hanging on the dock. Doesn't offer much protection for docks and piers with no uprights or floating docks.

Here's a better look at the splash rail. Best way to repair?
    Attached Images

Just think about what the hull would look like if that spray rail wasn’t there.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I removed the front and back spray rails.

I think that was a mistake unless you enjoy a lot of spray in a head sea.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I think that was a mistake unless you enjoy a lot of spray in a head sea.

Walt
    That's what enclosures are for. After painting the boat, I want nothing that can start peeling the paint job. All were wood and were starting to rot.

As far as the repair of the banged up rail goes.
    First choice, cut it off, make a new one out or Coosa (or wood) and wrap it in fiberglass before install(1708 biax) and then epoxy it to the hull and then add a radius (filet) over the joint and then prime and paint.
    Or, cut yours back to where it's good and recreate and then seal it up with epoxy, prime and paint.
    Or, cut it off and replace with vinyl, prime and paint. You probably can get a better result from vinyl than you think, stuff take paint pretty well too.
    Think I put all this on here before, oh well.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I had replaced a few with PVC. Had it made up then fitted. Paints great.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.