Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Spray Rails on the 34C

During the season, my boat rubbed up against the finger pier. The results were: splash rail chrome trim popped off and the splash rail (wood) was damaged some. Now.... is the splash rail really needed? Can it be removed and a layer of fiberglass laid to cover the screw holes or just fill each one individually? Of course if I take off one side I might as well take off the other side too.Most likely can't get to the inner hull screws due to deck and fuel tanks.
    Attached Images

Re: Spray Rails on the 34C

FYI mine were just screwed on not bolted so you should be able to remove without acces to the inside. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

The rail did exactly what it's supposed to do, protect the hull.
    Our 50c didn't have any aft bumber rails when we bought it.
    After 25 years of having to do touchups/repairs in that area every once in a while we added fiberglass rails from Slane, one of the best modifications we ever did.
    No worries now when around a low or floating dock or using a piling for leverage etc.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Fiberglass replacements sounds like a great option.

You want to keep those. Better to have them.

Anyone know if Slane's bumper rail molds went down to https://roseboatworks.com/ ?

Also, there's some vinyl extrusions that will also work http://barbourplastics.com/

Or, make them from laminated wood or foam (I like Coosa) and wrap them in glass before installing them on the hull.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Do not remove them, they are designed to protect your hull. Fiberglass over the damage and repaint. The trim is not chrome, it’s supposed to be stainless steel. Good lock.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Do not remove them, they are designed to protect your hull. Fiberglass over the damage and repaint. The trim is not chrome, it’s supposed to be stainless steel. Good lock.
    How does it protect the hull? Could you explain please.

Maybe your slips are different than ours out here but the walkway is about that same height. Far too many times people start to berth and scrape along the side of the hull on the walkway. This metal on the side protects the hull. We are talking about the same thing correct?
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Besides protecting the hull paint the rails help spread any impact load.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns