Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Port hole hold downs

It rained a bit last week, and one of my lav portholes, with a few broken hold downs leaked a bit. Are there any imaginative way to fix these, maybe with a large fender washer? Thanks.
    Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363

Re: Port hole hold downs

Post a picture to look at, That will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymitch View Post
    It rained a bit last week, and one of my lav portholes, with a few broken hold downs leaked a bit. Are there any imaginative way to fix these, maybe with a large fender washer? Thanks.
    Mitch there should be a large washer in front of the wing nut. Also is the rubber gasket in the window in good shape. Post photos.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The rubber "gasket" which is inserted into the plexiglass port hole is really like a giant "O" ring and when
    they get old they get hard and often fail to seal. New one's are very easy to install and are available
    from Sam's. Rusty's suggestion of a large washer will also help. I think the gasket replacement will
    probably solve your problem. I had a similar issue some years back and after putting new gaskets, the
    problem went away.

Walt

I don't have the ability with the iPad, to reduce size. Grey is the mfg of the ones with the broken lock down plastic tabs, my fuller brush mfg portholes are all good. Hope you can see these. Mitch

Numerous things came to mind when I saw these photos.

1.theses are not Fuller Brush Port Lights
    2.the screws are Phillips not square drive
    3.there isn’t a rubber gasket built into the port light.
    4.the mechanism for tightening the window down is not a wingnut.

I can see that a larger washer might give you a little better seal by putting more pressure on the window. If you can replace the rubber gasket do so. Lastly put an add on the forum looking for used port lights. I see them pop up all the time. Fairly easy to change out. That is unless you want to go high tec and put all new Stainless Steel ports in. About 350.00 each. Boy are they pretty.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Correct, these are Not Fuller Brush。 My Fuller Brush portholes are working perfectly。 These are Grey Mfg, and have several tabs broken。 Thanks for the advice so far。 Mitch