Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

GFCI failure at the panel and solution to fix it

So the fault breaker on Ships Service 3 panel decided to give up the ghost the other night. In reading this thread https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...lt-Protection& and talking to my electrician we've decided to bypass it and install GFCI's in the first outlet in each series. (Port lower, Stb lower, Port upper, and Stb upper). I checked my electrical diagram but it is not clear which is the first outlet in each series. Before we go opening up and disconnecting outlets to determine which is the first, has anyone with a 53 MY done this and know which are the most upstream receptacles? It may save us a bit of time.
    Thanks in advance.
    John
    Photo Dec 05, 6 18 14 AM - Copy.jpg
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Re: GFCI failure at the panel and solution to fix it

Can't answer your question, but at the risk of insulting your intelligence, if you get an answer please do verify that you have the correct one....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I am not sure why but my outlets are not wired one to another, they all have a single connection to them. There must be a junction box somewhere that feeds each outlet individually. Have not found it yet. Might be different in newer 53’s. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I am not sure why but my outlets are not wired one to another, they all have a single connection to them. There must be a junction box somewhere that feeds each outlet individually. Have not found it yet. Might be different in newer 53’s. John
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I haven't opened any of them up to see but I think that's on the agenda for tonight. Thanks
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

Most often there is a buss bar. First ten power is distributed from there Usually found tucked out of they way in the head inside the cabinets and inside closets behind access panels. As far as bypassing the gfi inside the main distribution panel it is a matter of disconnecting the small white wires running to the lugs on the main breaker I don’t think it’s a good idea. I would see if the breaker is still available But I hope that answers your questions.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Hi John,
    Sent you a PM about a breaker source.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Can't answer your question, but at the risk of insulting your intelligence, if you get an answer please do verify that you have the correct one....
    Trust me, this is just a starting point. The only real way to test is to open them up and disconnect one leg, cap it, then power up the circuit and test each subsequent receptacle. If you get lucky on the first one, saves a lot of time. If not, literally it is a trial and error procedure of pulling the receptacle and disconnecting one wire. Tedious but not terribly hard.
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    So the fault breaker on Ships Service 3 panel decided to give up the ghost the other night. In reading this thread https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...lt-Protection& and talking to my electrician we've decided to bypass it and install GFCI's in the first outlet in each series. (Port lower, Stb lower, Port upper, and Stb upper). I checked my electrical diagram but it is not clear which is the first outlet in each series. Before we go opening up and disconnecting outlets to determine which is the first, has anyone with a 53 MY done this and know which are the most upstream receptacles? It may save us a bit of time.
    Thanks in advance.
    John
    Attachment 28983
    I've done it.

IMG_9886.JPG
    Added GFI after standard replacement breaker before it went anywhere.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Added GFI after standard replacement breaker before it went anywhere.
    That's actually a pretty good idea, and it give you a spot to hang the dust buster/charger.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    That's actually a pretty good idea, and it give you a spot to hang the dust buster/charger.
    But it’s not on a 53MY so be careful. I don’t think some of you MY want to be seen talking to a C driver.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC