Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

On Demand Water Heater

I've been reading about on demand water heaters and was thinking about installing one
    in my boat. Has anyone done this before and are they a good fit?
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Re: On Demand Water Heater

If you are out you will need to run your generator each time you want hot water. Also a big pull on power each time you turn on the faucet.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

You may also have to add a second geneearor and extra powercord. I looked into it, these things use a ton of power
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thumbs up On Demand Water Heater

I was always curious about how it'd be on a boat myself... They're awesome in commercial & residential applications!
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

I have been thinking of adding a small couple gallon water heater in the galley basement that would give almost instant hot water for the galley sink.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

I've read they are very popular in RV's and most are plug in units or a larger 7 gal one is hard wired.
    All the ones I've seen are 110/120v and require just a 20amp breaker. Since they're
    on demand the only power you'll draw is when they're in use.
    Just thinking. Maybe someone who has one will respond.
    Barnegat Light NJ

I am not sure if the OP is talking about a small (point of use) water heater, in which case electric will work, but there is still a delay to heat the water, or a tankless (on demand) water heater, in which case, the RV models run off propane, since you generally don't have the kind of service or wiring to handle the amount of electricity a tankless water heater requires.

I wouldn't mind a small point of use water heater at the galley sink, since it takes a while for the hot water to get there from the engine room, and waste a lot of water (which matters if you are away from the dock).
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Check out how many degrees above the cold water temp they will rise the water. The small ones only add about 20 degrees if I remember correctly, so if you have 65 degree water it will only be heated to 85 degrees. It tales a gas unit to heat it higher. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Check out how many degrees above the cold water temp they will rise the water. The small ones only add about 20 degrees if I remember correctly, so if you have 65 degree water it will only be heated to 85 degrees. It tales a gas unit to heat it higher. John
    Good point. I can see this will take a little more research on my end. A 20 degree rise sure isn't much
    if that's the case.
    Barnegat Light NJ

Do you mean at the dock, or when you are running the boat? The best way to heat water when you are running the boat is to have a coolant loop from one of the engines to the water heater. You get HOT water, and for free. You can also use a coolant loop from the genset to heat water, so you have hot water at anchor. As far as the tankless systems, I think they draw too much current for use on a boat. And for the propane ones you have to add a propane locker and chimney etc.