Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Polishing

Re: Polishing

I hope I remember the 3 feet up when it comes to that.... Looks nice. Just love the way these boats look out of the water....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Lovely boat. And getting some love in the bargain, good for you.

So, the name came off, but it looks like I will have to paint the transom. I don't have a picture handy, but at a couple edges of the old letters the Imron wore off (via the Easy Off cleaning process). But more importantly, the paint beneath the letters is simply too different from the rest. Shame actually, because the paint overall is in excellent condition. Has anyone tried just piainting a rectangle that matched the color of the rest of the paint? I saw on the archives here people mentioning Awlgrip using tip and roll. Which Awlgrip product was this?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Prior to me buying my 53’ the captain hit the corner of the concrete dock and put a 6’long deep scratch on the starboard side mid ship. I had the yard patch and fill the damage. Mind you it was about 1” wide by 6” long. When I went to pick the boat up the patch was 2”x 8’ and the color was off. I was pissed. The yard owner stated that they needed to wait about 30 days for it to cure out so they could wet sand and buff out. When it was done I couldn’t believe it. I could not see the patch.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'm going to try F11 on a small area and see how it goes.

I love F-11! Unbelievable on the cars & motorcycle. I did the outside wet bar on my 40' but did not seem to do much.
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY

Quote Originally Posted by BobWaz View Post
    I love F-11! Unbelievable on the cars & motorcycle. I did the outside wet bar on my 40' but did not seem to do much.
    Did you use it on the fiberglass? Did it show a difference there?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Did you use it on the fiberglass? Did it show a difference there?
    On the 40 double cabin, the wet bar is on the deck backing up to the bridge. It is all fiberglass. Only showed a difference for a very short time. Within a couple weeks looked like it was never touched. Again on the cars and motorcycle I have never used a product this good.
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY

Here is a picture of the final result using Easy-Off.

IMG_0386.jpg

Close, but no cigar.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Here is a picture of the final result using Easy-Off.

Attachment 29188

Close, but no cigar.
    Maybe wet sand it now is see what you get. Worst case, its going to need to be painted, but it might be worth a try first.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI