Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Polishing

Polishing

Do most of you wax after polishing with Finesse It? Also, any recommendations on size and brand of polisher?

My son and I are wrapping up the bottom paint today (started yesterday). I saw a few other boats this size blocked about 3 feet off the ground. I think I am going to ask for that next time, cause it was back breaking reaching so low with the roller.

IMG_2338-1.jpg
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Polishing

My understanding is you are not supposed to wax Imron or use soaps containing wax on it. Just polish with the Finesse 2.

Back in my younger day I painted the bottom by myself. I did it once using 6’roller poles to reach down to the bottom. The key word is ONCE. I didn’t ever want to break my back like that again. Lucky you have a son that can get down there and help. Can’t help on the wax without knowing what’s on the hull? Has it been painted or is the finish original? Also send some photos of the whole boat. Have fun.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

You polish\ buff to get the finish ,appearance you desire,then you use wax for protection. As long as the finish has cured for 90 days you are safe. Aggressive buffing,sanding and polishing over time will remove some of the paint film. Edward

Do not use wax. There are other polishes that work with the 2 part paints
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We managed to tough it through the painting. There were only two issues, one an inconvenience, the other a back breaker. The inconvenience is stirring the paint. I finally got an stirrer attachment for a drill. The back breaker was that the boat was blocked too low. I asked the dock master if they could have blocked the boat 3 feet higher, and he said "You want it 7 feet up?", I replied "No, I mean like 3 or 4 feet up period. It is less than a foot off the ground!" He said "Oh, we normally put them 3 or 4 feet up for painting, sorry."

The dock master knew I was going to paint, but I guess it didn't get to the people in the yard. I know next time to make sure they know it is for bottom painting. If it was up 3 or 4 feet, it would have been so much easier.

A couple shots of the sides.

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

And the name is s l o w l y coming off with Easy Off. Not as fast or easy as I expected.

IMG_0320.jpg

Next weekend, polishing. And more name removal.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Do not use wax. There are other polishes that work with the 2 part paints
    Ok, no wax. But Finesse It 2 is right, right?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Finesse 2 provides no protection . Polish is not wax. There are some new nano products that will protect. Edward

I've played with glidecoat. Tough stuff. Its important to follow directions and is a multistep process.

PM me if you want more information on it. I have a sample kit on a boat at cape marina
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I use Yacht Brite Pro Polish.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI