Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Will anyone share their "Real World" fuel consumption?

You didn’t say what kind of boat you re looking at.

Your cruising speed, hull vs on plane, is mostly a matter of personal preference as well as weather and whether the boat is stabilized or not.

Personally I enjoy running at 9 or 10 knots depending on the boat LWL. It s relaxing with less noise and smoother motion. Water depths also affect speed therefore fuel economy. In shallow water, under 10/12’, you may loose a little at hull speed but gain a little on plane. Offshore on plane we usually loose a knot or so from swells

Then you have hull shape and weight. The Lazzara 84 I ve been running for the last couple of years only burns 70/75 GPH at 20 kts. At 17kts it s just under 60gph in shallow water (10/12’). Pretty amazing for an 84 footer although it obviously doesn’t handle rougher water like hatt.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You didn’t say what kind of boat you re looking at.

Your cruising speed, hull vs on plane, is mostly a matter of personal preference as well as weather and whether the boat is stabilized or not.

Personally I enjoy running at 9 or 10 knots depending on the boat LWL. It s relaxing with less noise and smoother motion. Water depths also affect speed therefore fuel economy. In shallow water, under 10/12’, you may loose a little at hull speed but gain a little on plane. Offshore on plane we usually loose a knot or so from swells

Then you have hull shape and weight. The Lazzara 84 I ve been running for the last couple of years only burns 70/75 GPH at 20 kts. At 17kts it s just under 60gph in shallow water (10/12’). Pretty amazing for an 84 footer although it obviously doesn’t handle rougher water like hatt.
    We are in a unique situation I believe. In a matter of months my wife and I will need to choose a path towards a motor yacht with larger engines or towards a single engine (or smaller twin engine) trawler. I was aware of the concept of running the larger engines at hull speed, but was not convinced, until reading the feedback here, that it was that common a practice.

I was afraid we would have to eliminate an entire pool of available boats from our wish list due to 60-80 gph fuel usage. Our plan is to travel back and forth between New England and Florida and the Bahamas (for two or three years) as the seasons dictate. We have made this journey four times before, so we have some experience, but on a smaller boat. This time, we want a boat with improved capabilities when we get back to cruising and we are fortunate to have a budget to do it, to a point.

I suspect, based on our past usage, we will be putting at least 400 hours annually on this live-a-board home, and the difference between a 25 gph average for those 400 annual hours and a 45 gph average would be significant enough to push us toward a trawler type. I am with you as far as speed. 9.5 knots is a wonderful pace to watch the shore go by.

To answer your question more directly, there have been some Hatts that made our list as well as Pacific Mariner, Off Shore and Symbol. In the boats with single or smaller engines, Selenes and Grand Alaskans make our list. I do realize that there is a host of differences between all of these boats and after my experience with the smaller Chinese cruisers, one of the most important priorities will be to be convinced that the boat we choose has been extremely well cared for. But, sufficient room, comfort and conveniences are near the top for us as well.

Thank you kindly for your input.
    Last edited by cuttyhunk47; 12-02-2018 at 11:35 AM.

If I was in the market for and enclosed pilothouse motoryacht and for some reason didn't want a Hatteras, I would be looking for an Offshore.
    They're very well built, clearly the best of the Asian brands.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Dave, I liked the Offshores also until I surveyed a 48 pilot house and it had the worst case of blisters I have ever seen, bottom had to be completely peeled and redone. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.