Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trash space

Trash space

Hey guys, where do you all put your trash? I’m speaking in the galley specifically. I have the 58 yacht fish and love the galley, but as configured the only space for trash is across the way in the cabinet by the curved staircase to the salon. I’m really thinking of putting in a trash compactor because there’s just no where convienient now to throw things away for example when your prepping a meal. What do you all do? Thanks.

Re: Trash space

We have a stainless Steel trash can with an automatic lid that sits right in front of the dish washer. It’s not to big and seems to to the trick. I’ve seen some that have cut a trash lid in the counter to the left of the sink in the dead zone. Let us know what you decide to do. Send photos.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

When I had the original galley down I had a small trash can under the sink on a sliding wire frame. Now in the new galley up I still have it under the sink but the bottom of the cabinet slides out the face is attached to the bottom. Pull the cabinet door and the bottom slides out with the trash can.

A trash compactor is great in remote areas where you can’t dumontrash for a few days but I don’t have enough storage space to fit one
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ours just sits there not in the way at all.
    Attached Images
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Lightbulb Trash space

We have a trash compactor on our big boat. We never, I mean never ever, use it. We're thinking about taking it out and replacing it with a built in under cabinet wine refrigerator. We hang plastic grocery bags on the front of the compactor and take it out when it's full. We always get at least 4 or 5 whenever we go grocery shopping. Everywhere we go has trash service(dumpsters, bins or receptacles), including our home marina.

If we were going to be on the hook for a week or more or traveling non-stop for weeks I would think that the compactor would be useful.

YMMV
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

Finding room for the trash is a problem. We have a white plastic kitchen trash container lined with a plastic bag for the garbage in the galley. It's awkward. I move it back on the aft cabinets when we move. I don't remember it ever spilling over even in rough seas, knock wood. We put all the food waste through the sink disposall which means we don't get a lot of odors. This dry waste is temporarily stored in the forward deck boxes until we reach a place where the trash can be burned. We separate recycling into another plastic bag, especially in the Bahamas, and put this in our deck boxes until we return to the US for proper recycling. We have a manual crusher for aluminum cans which helps save volume.

We have had trash compactors at home but found they make a really heavy single bag of trash. They also break a lot and are difficult to deep clean. On board, there is just no room for one in our little galley. I also would not want to rip out any of our matched wooden cabinetry to make the space.

Somehow, even on a long cruise it all works out.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

The round cover with the metal ring in the corner of the counter top is a trash can. If I ever re-do the galley - that will remain. It's small but works very well.
    Attached Images
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Don’t want to experience boat life without my trash masher. Bag too heavy? That’s what dock carts are for. No trouble keeping clean using heavier mil bags. Garbage disposal helps.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Ours just sits there not in the way at all.
    i keep a garbage can in the same place on my 58yf, its on side of the fridge the way my galley is set up. when the 13 gal bag is full i tie it and put under the aft deck till we get home.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Not having a place for trash on my 53 is what started a cabinet remodel.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575