Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Turbo Leak 12V71

Thanks Robert. I did find some fine thread bolts today. Do you happen to have the part numbers on the clamps. Mine have 3 different sizes

Sure don’t. Won’t be on boat until Wednesday or Thursday. Please let us know what you end up with.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I found this one but they dont give a part number or say where it is used on the turbo. I measured the closed OD on the one I cut loose and its is within 1/16" of what they show. They dont give a width just closed OD

https://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel...l#.XCg0tS3MxQI

May order one just to see and send back if its not right but would rather have the correct number

This clamp search is getting to be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I ordered the one in the link above. It doesn't have a part number. I accidentally shipped it to the address at the boat so I dont have it for comparison. I also ordered the Breeze #VT 10530 and it is a tad smaller. It may be the one on the riser so I can probably use it there. I ordered today the Breeze VT10560 now that I have their numbering figured out. The outside dimension should be very close to the one I have.

I sent the existing clamp numbers to RG Ray/Breeze engineering. They have no way to match the old clamps to their new ones based on numbers. I used my micrometer and sent them the dimensions on my existing clamps. They came back today with a response that they dont have anything meeting these specs. I am hoping that some dimensions changed due to heat and the 10560 works for the inner clamp. On the larger 7 3/4" clamp they dont have anything in that size range. Fortunately for now that one seems ok but I have 4 and one is bound to break at some point. I also called a Marine Exhaust company in Florida that was suggested to me on boat diesel but they dont carry them.

I am thinking of calling these people and see if they can make them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.clampco.com/products/v-ba...e-to-order.asp

Also someone posted they replace the bolts in their clamps. Has anyone done this on these V clamps? I am curious how you get a new T bolt in there as it appears the clamp is bent around it. I may could grind the old bolt off but dont see how to get a new one in.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    This clamp search is getting to be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I ordered the one in the link above. It doesn't have a part number. I accidentally shipped it to the address at the boat so I dont have it for comparison. I also ordered the Breeze #VT 10530 and it is a tad smaller. It may be the one on the riser so I can probably use it there. I ordered today the Breeze VT10560 now that I have their numbering figured out. The outside dimension should be very close to the one I have.

I sent the existing clamp numbers to RG Ray/Breeze engineering. They have no way to match the old clamps to their new ones based on numbers. I used my micrometer and sent them the dimensions on my existing clamps. They came back today with a response that they dont have anything meeting these specs. I am hoping that some dimensions changed due to heat and the 10560 works for the inner clamp. On the larger 7 3/4" clamp they dont have anything in that size range. Fortunately for now that one seems ok but I have 4 and one is bound to break at some point. I also called a Marine Exhaust company in Florida that was suggested to me on boat diesel but they dont carry them.

I am thinking of calling these people and see if they can make them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.clampco.com/products/v-ba...e-to-order.asp
    You are overthinking it. I got my clamps (for 8v92) from this site. I'm sure they have what you need, give them a call if you don't see it on the site, helpful people every time I've had to call.

https://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel...o2/turbos.html
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I got the 5.75" one from Diesel Pro sent down to the boat and it might work for the center clamp but the intake one is over 7" in diameter. I have yet to find anyone with between 7-8". I will call diesel pro and see what they have that may not be on the site. The issue from all these place I have talked to is that every turbo is different. They looked mine up by serial number at one place and ordered based on my turbo type and it was half inch too big. Everyone tells me there are different turbos on 12V71's. Not all use the same. For instance Covingtons may be different than a J&T, etc. It would be great if someone that has replaced these could provide the part numbers for all 3 clamps.

I got the 5.75" one from Diesel Pro sent down to the boat and it might work for the center clamp but the intake one is over 7" in diameter. I have yet to find anyone with between 7-8". I will call diesel pro and see what they have that may not be on the site. The issue from all these place I have talked to is that every turbo is different. They looked mine up by serial number at one place and ordered based on my turbo type and it was half inch too big. Everyone tells me there are different turbos on 12V71's. Not all use the same. For instance Covingtons may be different than a J&T, etc. It would be great if someone that has replaced these could provide the part numbers for all 3 clamps.
    If I asked my mechanics for clamps, I think their first question would be "what is the model number of my turbo?"

My turbo's are R5101513. I don't think one R5101513 is different from another. If you have the same turbo's, I can inquire regarding the clamps.

My turbo Model is CV8101. I cannot get a response from the vendor I gave this information to. They were very helpful at first but will not return emails or texts. I may go back by there next time I am in NOLA if I dont get resolved elsewhere. I did get a response from R G Ray this am that Clampco and 5 Star Smart parts may be able to custom make them. I am waiting on Clampco to return my call from yesterday. The marine Detroit place up the bayou from my boat didn't have them and said he couldn't order. They refer to the turbo mfg which is Air Research which appears to be out of business. They say its not a Detroit part but this tag clearly says Detroit. If I ever find these things Im gonna buy several

IMG_2489.jpg

My turbo Model is CV8101. I cannot get a response from the vendor I gave this information to. They were very helpful at first but will not return emails or texts. I may go back by there next time I am in NOLA if I dont get resolved elsewhere. I did get a response from R G Ray this am that Clampco and 5 Star Smart parts may be able to custom make them. I am waiting on Clampco to return my call from yesterday. The marine Detroit place up the bayou from my boat didn't have them and said he couldn't order. They refer to the turbo mfg which is Air Research which appears to be out of business. They say its not a Detroit part but this tag clearly says Detroit. If I ever find these things Im gonna buy several

Attachment 29640
    It's OEM'd to Detroit. Example, my Walker Airseps are labeled Detroit.

Air Research is part of Garrett. I know my turbo's are labeled Garrett, and I know Garrett is in the biz. The last turbo I needed I got from the Detroit dealer, WW Williams, and it was a one for one swap bolt-on. I'd be calling Garrett.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC