Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Turbo Leak 12V71

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Not leaking oil. It is blowing soot out. Everything is dry, no oil, just soot. The picture that looks oily is inside the shut down damper. I put a boroscope through a plug in top of the damper assembly. Those 4 bolts on the manifold look like they are pretty rusty. I figure they will break but will try soaking them in crow oil first.
    It’s ok, they aren’t threaded into the flanges. They will be brittle as hell from all the heating and cooling and likely to break when you reinstall. Go ahead and get some new grade 8’s. Even if you use a new gasket, add a light smear of exhaust sealant. I’ve never had issues with the permatex.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

My leak was caused by a cracked support for collector, and a loose bracket on cylinder head. PO had resealed couple of times, so luckily I inherited a tube of the high price liquid gold Silkelene sealer.
    All good now for three years. Had to loosen everything, align seal and tighten. I had no issues with replacing gaskets and flange fasteners. Note screws that fix bracket to cylinder head need to be sealed, or they will leak oil.
    Oh and collector is its heavy.
    Exhaust leak.jpg
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    It’s ok, they aren’t threaded into the flanges. They will be brittle as hell from all the heating and cooling and likely to break when you reinstall. Go ahead and get some new grade 8’s. Even if you use a new gasket, add a light smear of exhaust sealant. I’ve never had issues with the permatex.
    Robert thanks for info on bolt grade. I was wondering if it was ok to use grade 8 or it it had to be some special heat resistant metal like the high dollar sealer. Ray I hope I dont have to go that far with mine. The collector has been "re-did" in stainless steel so not sure if it would be lighter or not. Its not cast so hopefully so.

if you need sealer go to an auto parts store. i bought a tube of permatex exhaust sealer. it resists heat up to 2000 degrees. i tried to get some from the local cat dealer and he said it would be about 2 weeks to get,he said why dont you try and auto parts place for a sealer, he said the cat stuff is good to 2000 degrees, look for something in that range. i did and the tube cost me 7.65 cents. i ran her for a while at the dock and no leaks, wont be running her up to speed until summer
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

The Cat stuff is made by 3M. They make good stuff. I'm not saying that the auto parts store stuff won't work, I'm just saying that we have used the Cat product for years on construction equipment and it works well so that is what I used on the boat.. YMMV.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yep, I've used the CAT stuff for years along the way, but on CATs. It may not be against the law, but using CAT sealant on Detroits (a/k/a known leakers) is just tempting the gods and, generally speaking, in poor taste. But what the hell, I'm using toilet bowl cleaner on my hull.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I just went through this SAME exact issue with our starboard engine. Both turbos were leaking at the flange and one turbo was leaking oil into exhaust.

I pulled both turbos off, rebuilt one of them (wasn't bad at all, pretty simple pieces if you have the manual).

On install I thoroughly cleaned and filed both mating surfaces and used a high temp jointing compound I bought at the url below (no affiliation)

https://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel...or-turbos.html

Seems to have worked great, no signs of leaks at all.

On a side note, for getting soot off (mine was worse than yours before we caught it) I used turbo sootmaster (I got a gal of it) on advice of an old diesel mechanic.

https://realcleanproducts.com/produc...12548333764663

It works great, I use it to clean the transom now (I keep some in a spray bottle with the boat cleaning stuff)

I would HIGHLY suggest replacing all the nuts on the vband clamps as well, from my understanding they are a 1 time use item. I tried to reuse them and both stripped out before I got to the rated torque setting. So I had to clean and re-do everything (major pita). The new nuts were less than a dollar each. Torque to book specs (torque, loosen, re-torque)
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Thanks for info Rusty. Any info on what the torque should be on the nuts. I didnt use a torque wrench on the first clamp I replaced as I was unaware of this. Someone told me to tighten it then tap with hammer and tighten again. I probably need to re-do all the clamps

i was told the clamps should be replaced. the heating and cooling cycles it goes through weakens them
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I have some extra of the acorn clamps that do the exhaust to the turbo. It looks like the ones where the leak are may be a little larger in diameter than the other one. I plan to disassemble next time I am down there. I ordered some of the soot cleaner but am holding off on the liquid gold until I see if it will seal without it. Still trying to find out if I need to clean the intercooler. Looks like I would have to remove the flange with the 4 bolts to get access to inspect it with boroscope. I read on an old boat diesel post that if the engines arent smoking black most likely you dont need to bother cleaning inter coolers. Then another place I read they should be cleaned to remove soot.