Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Turbo Leak 12V71

On the maiden voyage back in April I ran on cruise for about 200 miles. When we got to the destination nothing appeared out of ordinary in the engine room. A week or two later I happened to notice a spot of soot on the aft side of the exhaust blanket on the far starboard turbo. I hadn't run the engine since the voyage so I removed the blanket to find the clamp broken that connects the exhaust riser to turbo(first picture)

IMG_2404.jpg

I have put about 110 hours on the engines since and have been keeping an eye on this or so I thought. Haven't ran the boat other than cranking engines at dock since October. I decided to do some painting on the engine and crawled behind the engine to find soot on the forward side of the new blanket. Another place about the size of my fist. I removed the blanket and it appears the soot is coming somewhere between the two clamps and an area where some lines (oil?) connect. I am unable to find any diagrams of how the turbo is assembled or sealed but both clamps appear to be intact. Any suggestions on what to check first? I will also state that the clamps that hold the air silencer to the turbo intake where loose, probably because I forgot to tighten them when I removed it to clean after the first incident.
    IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

I also inserted my boroscope into a plug in the top of the air shut down flaps serving this turbo. I will post pics in the reply as it wont let me put but 3 per post.

Re: Turbo Leak 12V71

These are pics of the turbo and boroscope. Not sure if I need to remove the flaps and inspect the intercoolers or if the amount is not enough to warrant this. Any comments either way are appreciated.

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg
    Not sure what the rod is for in this last picture but thats about as far as I could get the boroscope into the hole where the plug was removed.
    IMG_0457.jpg

Before tightening the clamp, you have to pull the turbo and exhaust pipe together. To facilitate this, loosen the airsep mounting bracket from the manifold. With that much soot, you may have to pull the turbo and clean the joint to get a good seat. Some folks apply hi-temp sealant. I haven't found the need, myself.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 11-24-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I dont have airseps but I have the air silencer assembly off right now. Is there any type gasket in the middle portion where it leaks or is all that metal to metal too?

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I dont have airseps but I have the air silencer assembly off right now. Is there any type gasket in the middle portion where it leaks or is all that metal to metal too?
    No gasket.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If you are leaking oil from that v-band clamp your turbos likely need a rebuild. You are getting oil in the exhaust side of the turbo. You should look into this.When that is done, there are a couple things you can do to get the mating surfaces under the clamp to seal. 1). Loosen up the four bolts holding the base of the turbo to the exhaust manifold before tightening the v-band. Then retighten at the end. 2) there is a compound made for this called silkolene 762 jointing compound. It is pricy! Be advised that even after dry it is water/liquid soluble.