Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs

Prior to a college (Vanderbilt) reunion cruise, we refit the entire boat with new mattresses, linens, curtains and all soft goods.

Cruise went great and an excellent time was had by all.

Unfortunately, one member returned home to Arkansas covered in bed bug bites. He had been travelling before joining us and the plane ride home could also be suspect but I need to treat the boat as possibly infested.

Any recommendations from the brain trust?

There were no Tennessee fans present so I can't blame them for this one.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 with 78 foot extension)
    Tampa

Re: Bed Bugs

Bruce,

One of my rental properties (an over under duplex) had a bed bug infestation. I became quite good at treating bed bugs to the point that I started taking on bed bug referrals from my exterminator who was to busy to do them. I have an applicators license for Virginia where I live. I no longer do bed bugs for hire anymore. I just want to be able to eradicate them for my rental properties, home and even my boat if the need should arise!

What ever you do, do not let someone talk you into using heat to kill bed bugs. The amount of heat necessary will cause collateral damage inside your boat and it does not work anyway.

Do not start throwing away bedding and mattresses either....treating bed bugs is not rocket science and is actually much easier than you think.

Rather than going into the long and boring details, just call me 757-635-2119 and I will be happy to go over all this with you.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Bruce,

One of my rental properties (an over under duplex) had a bed bug infestation. I became quite good at treating bed bugs to the point that I started taking on bed bug referrals from my exterminator who was to busy to do them. I have an applicators license for Virginia where I live. I no longer do bed bugs for hire anymore. I just want to be able to eradicate them for my rental properties, home and even my boat if the need should arise!

What ever you do, do not let someone talk you into using heat to kill bed bugs. The amount of heat necessary will cause collateral damage inside your boat and it does not work anyway.

Do not start throwing away bedding and mattresses either....treating bed bugs is not rocket science and is actually much easier than you think.

Rather than going into the long and boring details, just call me 757-635-2119 and I will be happy to go over all this with you.

Jon
    Does this method require dismantling 20 microwave ovens and nuking the whole boat?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Never tried that but I would bet that you could cook a 25 pound turkey that way!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Never tried that but I would bet that you could cook a 25 pound turkey that way!

Jon
    I'll ask my mom.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Take a run north and freeze them.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.