Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

San Diego boat yards.

I'm having my 37C trucked to San Diego. Mid Dec. I will need the hard top reinstalled once it arrives and have the boat splashed. Any recommendations?
    Mike

Re: San Diego boat yards.

Scarlett lives and plays in San Diego. Once he’s up and online he will give you the best spot to pull her out.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I’m here, Shelter Island Boat Yard is the best. They use independent contractors that have shops in the yard for the work. Try Klausen Marine, Kenny Klausen, his guys are great with that stuff. The yard stays extremely busy year round so schedule in advance if you can. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I’m here, Shelter Island Boat Yard is the best. They use independent contractors that have shops in the yard for the work. Try Klausen Marine, Kenny Klausen, his guys are great with that stuff. The yard stays extremely busy year round so schedule in advance if you can. John
    John
    Thanks for the recommendation. Boat is leaving Mobile 12/7. Anticipate 7 day travel time. Need them to install hardtop and props then put me in the water.

Then off to Ensenada for bottom paint and a few minor repairs. Hard to beat $28.00 labor rates.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I second Shelter Island Boatyard. Klausen has done work for me too and have not disappointed.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

I’ve had good experience with Driscoll’s. In fact I once had a problem with a fuel tank replacement they did and they took it back and repaired to my liking with no hassle at all. Did I see however that you are destined for Ensenada? If so, why not use Baja Naval and save a bunch of money?

Hate to ruin anybody’s plans, but before you commit to Baja Naval you should check there prices against the San Diego yards, friends have found there prices about the same, biggest advantage of using Mexican yards may be the availability of paints that are now banned in Ca., however I know that Baja Naval buys most of there stuff from West Marine in San Diego. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have been using Shelter Island Boatyard for getting on 30+ years, I wouldn't go anywhere else - I worked at one of the "other" yards as a teenager.
    Contact Wayne Morrison, yard manager/partner. Wayne's initial estimate may seem higher than other yards, but that's the real price, no nickle and dimeing goes on there.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Another way to gauge boatyards is to look at how busy they are.
    All the San Diego yards that cater to boats our size are on a row on Shelter Island Drive. Kettenburg, Driscoll, Nielson Beaumont, Shelter Island, and Kohler Kraft.
    Just drive by - typically every yard is half empty except Shelter Island, where it's full and there's a waiting list.
    There's a reason.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

When I was in San Diego all of my work was done at Shelter Island Boat Yard from the bottom paint to the Naiad stabilizers and everything else in between. I was always pleased.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee