Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: San Diego boat yards.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    I’ve had good experience with Driscoll’s. In fact I once had a problem with a fuel tank replacement they did and they took it back and repaired to my liking with no hassle at all. Did I see however that you are destined for Ensenada? If so, why not use Baja Naval and save a bunch of money?
    The trip to Ensenada is for Bottom paint and a few other repairs at Baja Naval. Trucking the boat from Mobile Ala. so the hard top and outriggers will be removed and will need to be reinstalled and boat splashed in Ca. Trucking into Mexico would create a whole new set of issues I chose not to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Hate to ruin anybody’s plans, but before you commit to Baja Naval you should check there prices against the San Diego yards, friends have found there prices about the same, biggest advantage of using Mexican yards may be the availability of paints that are now banned in Ca., however I know that Baja Naval buys most of there stuff from West Marine in San Diego. John
    John
    I appreciate the advice. I had the bottom paint quoted and was way way below the San Diego yards.
    Hourly rate was about a third of rates in the US although I have heard they are a bit loose with hours charged.
    Mike

John is correct. I got a quote to paint the entire boat from Baja Naval. I was surprised it was the same as California boat yards.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Mike, that’s good news, I think they got so high for awhile that they were losing a lot of work, so good to hear they have come back down. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I would strongly advise against Driscoll's. Past problems and lack of customer service from service managers pushed me to Shelter Island Boat Yard, where I've been pleased with the quality and service. Also second the comment about getting bids from San Diego yards vs. Baja Naval...
    1978 Yachtfisher 58' #447

For what it's worth, I have been in and out of Nielson-Beaumont twice and they also are okay.

Since they are a little smaller, you may get in quicker depending upon the circumstances, and they are *very* responsive and trying hard to please.

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Hate to ruin anybody’s plans, but before you commit to Baja Naval you should check there prices against the San Diego yards, friends have found there prices about the same, biggest advantage of using Mexican yards may be the availability of paints that are now banned in Ca., however I know that Baja Naval buys most of there stuff from West Marine in San Diego. John
    John
    You put a bug in my ear. Spoke with Wayne today to set up the 12/19 delivery and reassembly. We chatted about the trip to Ensenada for bottom paint. He also thought I was crazy to run it down there unless it was a pleasure trip.

Bottom line he quoted me a very competitive price so Bottom will be done in San Diego.
    My thanks for saving me the time and diesel fuel.
    thanks again
    Mike

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to contribute on Ensenada. I too was lured by Baja Naval's posted labor rates of $28-$30 USD/hour. I brought by boat down from San Francisco for a major refit - the budgetary quotes I received prior went out the window (in all fairness, some things cannot be quoted without viewing the boat such as fiberglass repair, but other things - like fabricating a new fiberglass hard-top from scale drawings - should not change, which they did by almost 50% so a bit of a bait-and-switch).

My sense is Baja Naval competes directly with SoCal boatyards and seeks to leave as little money on the table as possible which is their prerogative of course. On the plus side, I found the rank-and-file people there to be nice, friendly, and helpful despite the management credo of comparatively high rates. I do not believe the $28/hour for a moment. Ultimately, after waiting in their marina for complete for over 2-months and being astounded by the quotes I did receive, I decided to go elsewhere. I found a small outfit (Niza Marine) that are honest and affordable. Their quotes are about half of what I received from Baja Naval, and they stand behind their quote once given. They do not have yard facilities so progress is slow and not tremendously well organized, but I like working with them. In time, they will give Baja Naval stiff competition, something they have never felt. The next boatyard is almost 1000-nms south in Cabo, then La Paz, so it feels like Baja Naval is the only game in town.

Peter
    1970 Willard 36 Trawler
    Ensenada

Kwerges where are you located, we are at Southwestern Yacht Club. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.