Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bridge Enclosure Visibility Issues- Ideas Needed

On my other boat, my entire bridge is enclosed by strataglass. It is a single station boat. So, when it rains, I have very poor to no visibility from the bridge. That is not good for avoiding lobster pots. Since the enclosure is strataglass, I cannot use RainEx on it. I also understand that the window inserts are likely too heavy to be able to lift and pin to the hardtop, which is what I do with the center piece of strataglass most times in the summer. Other than not getting caught in the rain (G), does anyone have an idea for improved visibility in the rain with a full enclosure? Thanks.

Re: Bridge Enclosure Visibility Issues- Ideas Needed

I have seen actual glass panels with windshield wipers installed in eisenglas enclosures. Other than that
    I would consider having the bridge done with a full hard enclosure with opening windows etc. Or at least
    the front panels.

Walt

There are a number of products you can use to "better" the visibility.
    https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=plastic+cleaner

or if you can commit some funds there are products like EZTCY which is a very clear acrylic that does NOT roll, it pins up.

Tight and clean are the main things to look for in fixing visibility. I would start with polish/wax. I have had lots of luck with PLEXUS, but used most and don't have any I would not recommend.

Imar works wonderfully. Pricey but very good.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

John, replace the Strata panels with clear acrylic panels, EZ2CY is the same stuff.
    Night and day difference between between the various forms/grades of eisenglass and the hard panels.
    Most of the non EZ2CY canvas shops use clear acrylic made by Bayer, yes the aspirin people,
    Costa Canvas did most of the canvas work for Ocean Yachts, there's not a better canvas shop anywhere, problem is they know it and are extremely expensive.
    My canvas guy was under half of Costa, it's not Costa quality but good enough for me, think they're 12 or 13 years old now and still crystal clear.
    Start with Costa and work backwards from there, they probably have the original patterns from your boat.
    http://www.costamarinecanvas.com/e.html
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thank you all. I was hoping to deal with the rain/viability issue only. My enclosure is still in very good shape.

John, don't want you bumping into anything because you can't see.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

I'm doing our enclosure in Acrylic for all the things mentioned. Maybe it would be more cost effective for you just to have the center panel re-done with acrylic?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

John, the acrylic's worst visibility day is better than Strataglass' best day.............
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Good idea. Thanks.