Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Hot Water Heater

Lower voltage raises amps. That's how it can trip the breaker.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I would check the Hot water breaker. I had it happen to me this spring! Worked great last fall when I went to start it up in the spring it would be fine for a min or so and then trip. It was a bad breaker causing it to trip. Replaced the breaker and all is fine!

How does lower voltage raise amps?

Basic Ohms law,
    Current(I) = Voltage(V) / Resistance(R)

Ohm's law states that the electrical current (I) flowing in a circuit is proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R). Therefore, if the voltage is decreased, the current will decrease provided the resistance of the circuit does not change.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

What is an amp?

Remember the basics.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

An AMP is the current flowing through the circuit (basic).
    Water heater elements are purely resistive.

Amps are calculated by dividing the (Applied voltage) by the (heater element resistance)
    Amps = Volts / Resistance
    Note: The element resistance does not change with applied voltage.

Assuming a 5000 watt water heater element DESIGNED to work on 220 VAC.
    The element resistance is about 9.68 ohms.

When operating at the designed 220 volts the current will be about 22.72 Amps.
    22.72 Amps = 220 Volts / 9.68 Ohms
    In this case the heater element is generating about 5000 watts.

When operating at the lower 208 volts the current will be about 21.48 Amps.
    21.48 Amps = 208 Volts / 9.68 Ohms
    In this case the heater element is generating about 4469 watts.

When operating at the higher 240 volts the current will be about 24.79 Amps.
    24.79 Amps = 240 Volts / 9.68 Ohms
    In this case the heater element is generating about 5950 watts.

This only applies to resistive loads. None inductive loads like AC compressors, motors, transformers and refrigerators behave a lot different. That is a entirely different discussion.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Without tearing into it too deep.

What's the elements rating?

Many are replaced over the years. If it's a 208 volt element it will draw higher amperage.

What else is on the panel drawing the voltage down and increasing amp draw?

Tigers lots of variables.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

A 1978 53MY will have two isolation transformers in the generator room, aft on each side.

This will produced 240v to the water heater and is not selectable. All shore power runs through them. You should see a selector on your main panel next to the volt meter. You can select input shore voltage or trans out voltage to display.

The water heater issue sounds like maybe the wrong element. Check that element and wiring. OEM was a 4500 watt element which draws quite a bit but makes for a quick recovery.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks Sky. However, I didn't see transformers in the gen room. Also, the AC panel is reading a solid 240, even with the A/C units on. So, either there are transformers somewhere on this boat, or a 100+ pedestals that say 208v are wrong. But, I think the issue is as suggested. The element is wrong (or the breaker switch is marginal) and the issue isn't low voltage on shore, but slightly higher voltage on shore. I will report back after more trouble shooting. Oh, I also see no indication of transformer on the breaker panel.

The picture attached was taken a month ago at a different marina. The generator monitor is not functional because the new generator remote control was mounted elsewhere on the helm.

IMG_4423-2.jpg
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post
    How does lower voltage raise amps?

Basic Ohms law,
    Current(I) = Voltage(V) / Resistance(R)

Ohm's law states that the electrical current (I) flowing in a circuit is proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R). Therefore, if the voltage is decreased, the current will decrease provided the resistance of the circuit does not change.
    Tim,

In this case it's not a matter of Ohm's law. Rather, the power equation POWER=VOLTAGE x CURRENT.
    Your heater element is rated at a certain power (wattage). As supply voltage goes down, the current draw
    will increase to match the same power consumption. Ergo, lower voltage results in higher current
    draw (tripped breakers). The reverse is also true.

Hope this helps........
    Ken C.
    Comfort Zone
    1978 42' Bertram FBMY
    Sandusky, Ohio