Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hot Water Heater

While on generator, my water heater works fine, but on shore power, it trips the circuit breaker. I thought it worked fine at one of the marinas we stayed at on the trip down, but at our home marina, it trips the circuit breaker. The crew had noticed this on the way down here as well. I also just noticed today that the service at our home marina is 208 volt. I guess at the marina up north where it worked was 240 volt? In any event, I would have figured the current to be lower in a resistive element if the voltage was lower. I will test the actual voltages over the holidays.

The water heater is fairly new, but they did have to replace an element up north. I don't believe there are any problems with the elements or thermostats because it works perfectly on generator. It only trips the breaker on shore power, and at several marinas, including mine.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Hot Water Heater

Welcome to 208 volt issues.

Theres a few optuons.

If you have transformers use them. It will change the voltage but lower the amperage. Your boat should have one.

If not add a boost transformer at the pedestal.

Put in smaller elements for the water heater. Cut the wattage and it should work But it will heat water slower.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Where are the transformers generally located?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

On the boat.

Call me. Ill be up there in an half hour.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I am not there right now. Won't be back on till Wednesday evening.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Call me when your in the area
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

When you’re at your home port are you plugged into 50 amp 125/250? When you travel to other Marina’s do you plug in the same 125/250 or use a reverse Y into 2-30 amp plugs? I’m sure Scott is correct I was just looking at other possibilities.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Just a couple of brief comments. I can trip a shore power breaker at just about any marina if I load it up enough. I have never been able to trip my 20KW generator's breaker with everything and the kitchen sink turned on.

It is also not unusual to find old, weak breakers at marinas. I've had two replaced in two slips at my present marina for tripping under moderate loads.

Finally, is it possible the replacement element you mentioned is the problem?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It isn' tripping the shore power breaker. It trips the breaker assigned to the hot water heater. Also, we have very little load right now. No A/C because the weather is cool. I saw another forum where changing the element fixed it, probably a lower power element as Scott said.

We have only been using a 50 amp 240/120 cord so far.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. It isn' tripping the shore power breaker. It trips the breaker assigned to the hot water heater. Also, we have very little load right now. No A/C because the weather is cool. I saw another forum where changing the element fixed it, probably a lower power element as Scott said.

We have only been using a 50 amp 240/120 cord so far.
    OK then. If it's tripping it's own breaker it isn't the load other than the heater itself. While it is likely it's the element, breakers on the boats get old and weak just like any other breaker. So if the element is correct and the wiring looks good, that's where'd I'd look.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC