Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Aft bulkhead repair/replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    When you say cloth on both sides I'm @$$uming you mean on the outer surfaces. I've found a few things where Hatteras bonded wood to fiberglass structure and it looks like they used a piece of mat to hold resin in between the surfaces.

While I'm asking dumb questions, does anybody know how the door frame is held in? I can't see any evidence of fasteners or seams. The wood actually looks like it wraps around the bulkhead and is mostly held captive by the fit of the pieces. I assume this is another one where adhesives are also involved.

Hello, yes the door frame is one solid piece of molding that is fit around the entire opening and is glued in place. Mine also had screws behind the hinge side of the door. I ended up cutting the outside portion off with a multi tool then I could get between the frame and bulkhead with the saw to cut the glue. This way the inside trim side is saved but you will need to mill new trim for the outside.

Good luck, I'm glad you found it before any further damage happened the bulkhead behind the cockpit liner to the hull.

Walt Hoover

Thank you everybody for the insight. It's been extremely helpful.

It turns out that (surprise) the rot is more extensive than we thought. On the stbd side it goes all the way to the cabin side. So last weekend we ended up starting to turn it into a day boat. At this point I see no advantage to trying to salvage the few inches of plywood that aren't compromised. So I'm going to be learning a lot about Coosa.

The "good" news is that it looks like the bulkhead is split into upper and lower halves at the cabin sole. So we're hoping (like we were hoping before) to limit the scope of the nightmare to upper bulkhead only.

The cabinet ended up coming out in pieces, but we saved the one critical side for a template. I was planning on making a new one with less holes in it anyway. Just wasn't looking to add that into this project. Alas, change orders.

And my advice of the day when it comes to removing such things is to bring a friend who is a lot less sympathetic to the boat than the owner to handle the crowbar and sawzall and just turn him loose and go out for a walk for a few minutes.

--- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Looks like I am will be joining this club as well. IMG_0909.jpg But this is what really scares me IMG_0915.jpg

Yep, unfortunately that's how it usually goes.
    You might want to place a couple of 2x4's in there for bracing so the bridge deck doesn't try to sag.

Just an idea, you may be able to build the new bulkhead part off the boat and then just tab it to the sides.
    Will be a lot easier to get everything glued and faired on a table than working vertical.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    You might want to place a couple of 2x4's in there for bracing so the bridge deck doesn't try to sag.

Just an idea, you may be able to build the new bulkhead part off the boat and then just tab it to the sides.
    Will be a lot easier to get everything glued and faired on a table than working vertical.
    I'm planning to fabricate most of it off the boat, however the lower ends of it go all the way to the hull under the side decks, so it's going to have to be in at least two pieces that can be tied together after install. In real life it may end up being much more involved. Further updates as events warrant.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

Thankfully, or unfortunately because this guy did some crap work it is supported. Gotta rip this out Too.

IMG_0921.jpgIMG_0920.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Thankfully, or unfortunately because this guy did some crap work it is supported. Gotta rip this out Too.

Attachment 38646Attachment 38650
    Holy crud. It looks like they only heard the word carpenter in the term ship's carpenter.

1970 36C375

8. Re: Aft bulkhead repair/replacement

I went through this on my last boat which was a 1982 Viking. I had the same extensive damage Avenger is showing and had to remove the entire back as well. In my case the damage was due to a leaking window which also took out the turbo and lower bulkhead. It was a strange sight to see it as a dayboat. I had the local yard do the work and they recommended rebuilding the upper bulkhead with teak which is what was done. I don't know the difference structurally between coosa and the teak approach but I liked the aesthetics of the way it turned out, though the tackle box and sink hide much of the wood. I wish I took more photo's but the sticker shock prevented me from wanting to memorialize the event. IMG_0182.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    I went through this on my last boat which was a 1982 Viking. I had the same extensive damage Avenger is showing and had to remove the entire back as well. In my case the damage was due to a leaking window which also took out the turbo and lower bulkhead. It was a strange sight to see it as a dayboat. I had the local yard do the work and they recommended rebuilding the upper bulkhead with teak which is what was done. I don't know the difference structurally between coosa and the teak approach but I liked the aesthetics of the way it turned out, though the tackle box and sink hide much of the wood. I wish I took more photo's but the sticker shock prevented me from wanting to memorialize the event. Attachment 38653
    It that seat base attached to the hatch and the deck? Weighing options for RV type tables.

10. Re: Aft bulkhead repair/replacement

The seat chair base on the Viking is not attached to a hatch. The cut out you see is from the replacement of the 212 gallon diesel tank. The floor had to be cut to get the tank out.