Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Aft bulkhead repair/replacement

Tore out our old tackle locker and found the bulkhead pretty well rotted. Mostly the sides but also behind the bait freezer and under the window. Anyone done this project? Looks like it's 3/4 and 1/2" ply laminated together. The top of the ply is tabbed to the bridge bottom but I can't tell where the bottom ends. Look like it's supported by the deck and goes into a pocket on the return flange on the deck. I'm betting Cricket has been here before.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Aft bulkhead repair/replacement

I have replaced the lower part of the wall on my 42C. On both sides of the door to a height of 12". The rotted plywood stopped at the bottom of the door and it rests on the bulkhead coming up from the hull which the cockpit liner is screwed to.Luckily that bulkhead was in perfect condition. The hardest part for me was removing the rotted areas. I used a router and jigs to get a uniform depth for the new wood. It would have been easier to just cut a 12" strip from the bottom and separte the interior wood from it for reuse with the new wood. I did not find any tabbing holding it along the bottom but it was screwed into the cabin floor along the bottom just above the cockpit liner. Fixing under the port aft window was much easier as the rot was not as bad. When I was done with window I caulked between the trim and glass to prevent water from running down the glass and into the wood under the window. I'm sure there was better way to do this but I was happy with my repair after repainting and getting my cabinets back in.

I hope this gives you some insight,

Walt Hoover

Time for the mezzanine install???????
    Luckily we haven't had any rot in the aft bulkhead, have cut it twice on the port side from the door over to just past the window to remove the engines.
    Way back we glassed the bulkhead to the house which is what probably saved us, and removed the windows, sealed with epoxy also. Can't exactly remember how the bulkhead cockpit floor joint looked like when we ripped out the cabinets and step to put in the mezzanine.
    You could be correct the the cockpit floor sits on top of the aft bulkhead and the the aft wall starts there.
    We did repair a crack several times under the door sill before we put the mezzanine in. The cockpit floor was cut out for about 18" from the bulkhead aft so the mezzanine boxes could be deeper since there was just dead space underneath in the lazzarette.
    All of that was reinforced with wood and glassed back with epoxy.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Time for the mezzanine install???????
    Luckily we haven't had any rot in the aft bulkhead, have cut it twice on the port side from the door over to just past the window to remove the engines.
    Way back we glassed the bulkhead to the house which is what probably saved us, and removed the windows, sealed with epoxy also. Can't exactly remember how the bulkhead cockpit floor joint looked like when we ripped out the cabinets and step to put in the mezzanine.
    You could be correct the the cockpit floor sits on top of the aft bulkhead and the the aft wall starts there.
    We did repair a crack several times under the door sill before we put the mezzanine in. The cockpit floor was cut out for about 18" from the bulkhead aft so the mezzanine boxes could be deeper since there was just dead space underneath in the lazzarette.
    All of that was reinforced with wood and glassed back with epoxy.
    Thanks I need o look up your post on the mezzanine project do you have any pics of the cutout?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Some photos, wish we had more, never good with that.
    0321121429.jpg0210121138.jpg0210121139.jpg
    Last edited by Cricket; 11-21-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

When first cut, before the start of cleaning up the mess.
    We wanted to add a lot of storage which is why we cut the deck, especially the refrigerated boxes (4) which can either a fridge or freezer depending on temp setting. Went into the project to be able to drop in a regular chest freezer to both save money and easy replacement. Ended up going all in after contacting Sea Frost for the price of the stainless lined boxes and rest of the components.
    Attached Images
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

PICS!

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

MoaRRRRRRRRRRR

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Wow that was extensive, makes me glad I found mine when I did. That just looks heartbreaking.

Walt Hoover

A little marine tex and compound .

No need to panic.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.