Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Aft bulkhead repair/replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Well that sucks, hopefully it works out.
    What's your plan for attaching the vertical seams between the sheets to each other?
    Are you going to build the entire bulkhead in 1 piece and then install it up into the boat or multiple pieces.
    It would be heavy but much easier to get fair on the ground laying flat.
    Thinking the best option would be to use 2 layers of glass on each side, 1 vertical, 1 horizontal.
    Can't remember if you're using epoxy or polyester resin.
    There will be no seams as 1 sheet goes in the right, 1 sheet goes in the left and in the middle will be the 2 sliding doors that when open each one will be behind each side. Both sides will be faired before installation as you say its much easier on a table. Using epoxy.

Can't wait for the progress photos.
    We've done a few similar projects where we got large panels all the way into primer with the sides taped off for the tabbing and filet, that way you only have to prime the edges when installed.
    Last edited by Cricket; 03-25-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Cricket, here you can see how it will look. Another similar piece goes on the other side and the doors right in the middle.

Well, this escalated quickly.

The lower was severely compromised as well and I foolishly decided it had to come out. Man what a suck job this has turned into. I was hoping to just cut the lower bulkhead out and use it as a template for the Coosa. But as Mike Tyson said "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."

TB2k4z8.jpg

If anybody wants to know what's behind the bulkhead on a 36 now would be a good time to ask.

aKJj9bK.jpg

If there's a light, there is the benefit of finally fixing a very screwy fuel system now that I have access to certain things.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Going through this "fun" on the 34 now. Project is stalled now. Busy with work and hot out. Will finish this fall and hope to splash in January.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Ouch...... Well if you want to feel (a little) better watch the plight of these kids on

https://www.youtube.com/c/ParlayRevival

Every bulkhead and much more on their Lagoon 450 failed, and there are 20 more boats with similar problems. Someone has splainin' to do.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Ouch...... Well if you want to feel (a little) better watch the plight of these kids on

https://www.youtube.com/c/ParlayRevival

Every bulkhead and much more on their Lagoon 450 failed, and there are 20 more boats with similar problems. Someone has splainin' to do.
    It kind of reminds me of that joke about where you can find sympathy. It's nice, but it doesn't really help.

Oh well, maybe it will give me some inspiration.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    It kind of reminds me of that joke about where you can find sympathy. It's nice, but it doesn't really help.

Oh well, maybe it will give me some inspiration.
    The kids are actually doing an awesome job at maintaining morale. And, they are doing the repair right. You can do it!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I have a similar boat. I don't even want to know. Not even. I feel for ya.

And I’m whining about a windlass. Oh my lord that would be an incredible project