Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shaft Alignment Issues

Just had a bottom survey done and my port prop shaft is almost touching the bottom of the hull fitting. It needs to go up about a quarter of an inch. This happened over the last three years since my last survey.

What normally causes the shaft to go out of alignment? Sagging engine mounts?

How much work/labor/$$ am I looking at?

Thanks!
    Vic
    Vic
    1978 Hatteras 46C Hull #127
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

Re: Shaft Alignment Issues

Not sure what you mean by shaft almost touching the bottom of the hull fitting. What hull fitting

Yes it could be an anyone mount problem. Where is the boat hauled out? Your signature says Miami.

I ve used Mesa Marine for years, he specializes in alignment, running gear, thru hulls etc. old fashioned guy who knows his stuff He did the repower on my 53 incl new shafts and correcting a severe alignment problem. He s also replaced cracked shaft on the 84 I run. He works at a number of yards including Hurricane cove and glasstech
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hi Pascal. Thanks for the reply! The shaft is almost touching the bottom of the shaft log as seen from the outside. I hauled out at Norseman for the inspection. I’m thinking of doing the job at Hurricane so I can use outside vendors. I’d like to get a few estimates along with a bottom job and changing all cutlass bearings. Will definitely give Mesa Marine a call.

Are changing the mounts on 8V71TIs problematic?

Thanks again!
    Vic
    Vic
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

Norseman is a very good yard but expensive. Hurrican cove charges storage by the day so you have to stay on top of the contractors to make sure things move along. The paint shop the is pretty good too, they do bottoms but also topside. I ll PM you luis mesa's number
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks very much!!
    Vic
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

You could also try to get th alignment done in water. Its better anyway. Unless something is rally wrong with the strut
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I did not know that was an option. That is very convenient for me being that the boat lives in the Homestead Bayfront Marina, which is a good 25 miles from the river.

Surveyor advised to change the cutlass bearings too. Would you wait till that is done or should I go ahead with the alignment first?

Vic
    Vic
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

Stop the trainwreck. I dont need to watch another one.

Get the cutlass bearings checked or replaced. Check the shaft log tubes. Replace the hoses and repack stuffing boxes. Put the boat back in the water.

Wait a week then have the alignment checked and adjusted if necessary. Dont do it on the hard. Dont replace mounts or modify stringers until the rest is right.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Have you checked with cable marine
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks, Boatsb! That’s the action plan advice I was looking for. Just had the survey done yesterday. Will definitely call Cable Marine as well.

Thanks gents!
    Vic
    Vic
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.