Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No smoking--50 ft.

Yesterday, sailboater two docks over was fueling his 8 HP dink's tank with a hand pump. Unbeknownst to him, the fill hose popped out of the tank and delivered gasoline down the open hatch, splat, right into his forward cabin. Sadly, he doesn't appear old enough to suffer from incontinence, so the likelihood he had rubber sheets seems slight. The fumes were epic.

Didn't have to happen. He was filling a portable tank from a five gallon jug. Could have done it on the dock or carried the tank to gas dock. Fortunately for us, he is a transient.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: No smoking--50 ft.

He's lucky, the gas will evaporate and the smell go away...unlike diesel!

This guy has lots of blowboater fails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR08JO8YhM4
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Not speaking for anyone else, but I'm lucky to be alive with all the stupid things I've done in 64 years. Nothing serious in the past 11. Wonder if going on the wagon has anything to do with it.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I wonder why the portable tanks bother with the warning labels. Remove from boat before fueling?

I would hope he leaves soon and stays away.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I wonder why the portable tanks bother with the warning labels. Remove from boat before fueling?
    Probably for the same reason McDonalds has to warn you that the hot coffee in the cup is hot....
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

The new "safety spouts" on the portable cans don't help. They've probably caused more accidents.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Agree with Sky, we have had those “safety” spouts in Calif. for years and most people I know, including me have spilled lots more gas with those than we ever did with the old ones, perfect example of people making laws that never have to use the products, however the vapor recovery hoses at gas stations are something that really does work. I just fueled our rental car here in Australia and they do not have vapor recovery and I could not believe how strong the gas smell was while fueling. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The new "safety spouts" on the portable cans don't help. They've probably caused more accidents.
    FIFY:

https://ezpourspout.com/
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    He's lucky, the gas will evaporate and the smell go away...unlike diesel!

This guy has lots of blowboater fails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR08JO8YhM4
    Having pitch-poled a Hobie Cat a few times I guess I can't judge, but that is some funny stuff right there.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

x2 on the EZ pour. I put them on all my cans. I prefer the bigger, faster one for my tractors and things that use alot of fuel. The smaller one is perfect for mowers and other small gas engines