Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shower Operation

The showers on our 53 MY have switches and red lights. Are the switches to turn on the sump pumps? And when do you turn them off, or do they go off once the sump is drained and the red light goes off? I told the crew to turn on the pump when the start taking a shower and turn them off when the light goes out.

Re: Shower Operation

On my 1979 53' MY
    The switches do NOT need to be turned on.
    The showers drain into small sump tanks in the bottom of the bilge.
    There are float switches in those tank that cycle the shower drain pumps as needed.
    While taking a shower you will see the red light on that panel cycle on and off periodically.
    The pull switch can be used to drain the last little bit of water out of those small sump tanks or if for some reason the float switches fail.

On my 53 there are two of these setups.
    The forward small tank is for the forward shower.
    The rear is for the mid and aft cabin showers.

Also in both of these cases I have air condition condensation drains that go into these tanks so periodically you will see the red shower pump lights come on when the AC's are running.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

On my 1979 53' the sump for the forward shower is in the generator room at the forward bulkhead just right of midline. The sump for the aft two showers is under the queen bed with access thru the panel at the head of the bed (all the way aft). There are also regular bilge pumps in both those areas. It is a good idea to keep the sumps clean as possible. I pour vinegar in the showers periodically to keep them clean. The forward sump is fairly easy to access for further cleaning but the aft one is a bit more of a challenge at least for me because I have the Galleymaid type 1 MSD tanks right over the access panel under the bed. Boat yoga at it's best!
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

The only way to be sure is to look at the sumps and test. Who knows what a previous owner may have done in the last 40 years...

There should be a float switch in the sump to turn the pump on but if that switch went bad, someone may have rigged a manual switch
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The only way to be sure is to look at the sumps and test. Who knows what a previous owner may have done in the last 40 years...

There should be a float switch in the sump to turn the pump on but if that switch went bad, someone may have rigged a manual switch
    Actually, these look factory. They are part of the plate with the light. Identical in all 3 showers. I thought all Hatts had them. I will take a look at what they actually do when the boat gets here. Maybe they are automatic, and the switch overrides, like the bilge pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    On my 1979 53' the sump for the forward shower is in the generator room at the forward bulkhead just right of midline. The sump for the aft two showers is under the queen bed with access thru the panel at the head of the bed (all the way aft). There are also regular bilge pumps in both those areas. It is a good idea to keep the sumps clean as possible. I pour vinegar in the showers periodically to keep them clean. The forward sump is fairly easy to access for further cleaning but the aft one is a bit more of a challenge at least for me because I have the Galleymaid type 1 MSD tanks right over the access panel under the bed. Boat yoga at it's best!
    Thanks for the details. I have seen the forward sump in the gen room. I have twins in the master, so I will have to pull the carpet to get to the hatch. I need to get down there and check/clean all the bilge and sump pumps out anyway.

I believe Rusty (aka SEVEN) also has twins and I'm sure he can direct you in that area. He's very helpful.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

With twins just pull the carpet back from the stern about 3’. You will find a fiberglass sump. I put a tablespoon of bleach down my shower drain weekly. We are weekenders and the smell is bad when soapy water sits in there for a week. Check your exit hose for leaks. Mine had four tears in it before it exited the sea chest.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post
    On my 1979 53' MYThe switches do NOT need to be turned on.The showers drain into small sump tanks in the bottom of the bilge.There are float switches in those tank that cycle the shower drain pumps as needed.While taking a shower you will see the red light on that panel cycle on and off periodically.The pull switch can be used to drain the last little bit of water out of those small sump tanks or if for some reason the float switches fail.On my 53 there are two of these setups.The forward small tank is for the forward shower.The rear is for the mid and aft cabin showers.Also in both of these cases I have air condition condensation drains that go into these tanks so periodically you will see the red shower pump lights come on when the AC's are running.
    Exactly same on my 1980 53 my

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    With twins just pull the carpet back from the stern about 3’. You will find a fiberglass sump. I put a tablespoon of bleach down my shower drain weekly. We are weekenders and the smell is bad when soapy water sits in there for a week. Check your exit hose for leaks. Mine had four tears in it before it exited the sea chest.
    Thanks.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL