Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearwater

Re: Clearwater

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Why not? It wasn't even half the fuel. Even if you headed towards Destin and then to Clearwater, it is still a heck of a way from shore.
    Why not? Would you like for me to make you a list?

As for half the fuel, there is no doubt the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but if you didn't pay that Captain at least double time for that straight shot run or tip him generously, you sir, are a cad. If weather is a factor, shooting across that span of open water is the last thing I would subject my boat, not to mention my wife, to. How much was her safety and comfort worth to you?

No offense, and I'm not trying to make this personal, but DAYUM!!!
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

How easy is it to enter Clearwater at night? Kind of racing some weather in the gulf and that puts us coming into Clearwater at night.
    Now that we have a bit more information, I have another question I just have to ask...

Where the heck did you find a Captain (let alone trust one) that would have you asking this question?

I think it would be an interesting conversation if said Captain were a part of this thread that may cost you your marriage! LOL
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Why not? Would you like for me to make you a list?

As for half the fuel, there is no doubt the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but if you didn't pay that Captain at least double time for that straight shot run or tip him generously, you sir, are a cad. If weather is a factor, shooting across that span of open water is the last thing I would subject my boat, not to mention my wife, to. How much was her safety and comfort worth to you?

No offense, and I'm not trying to make this personal, but DAYUM!!!
    I said "half the fuel" to indicate that it wasn't that far, not that it saved fuel.

The route was the captain's choice, and had he listened to me, they would have departed the night before, and had plenty of time between them and the change in conditions.

I gave you the alternate route, to Destin then Clearwater, but that is pretty much the same open water.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I said "half the fuel" to indicate that it wasn't that far, not that it saved fuel.

The route was the captain's choice, and had he listened to me, they would have departed the night before, and had plenty of time between them and the change in conditions.

I gave you the alternate route, to Destin then Clearwater, but that is pretty much the same open water.
    I understand you were talking about range, but it's all relevant. What was his reasoning for making that straight shot?

Maybe he was the one with the deadline, but suggesting they depart the night before hardly makes this any better for your wife and her crew. NOBODY shoots from Destin to Clearwater, and most do it from Carabelle/East Pass. Even that won't allow a daylight run to Clearwater, especially this time of year. I would have gone from East Pass to Steinhatchee for the night, then to Clearwater the next day which is still an all day run that would have them coming in pretty close to darkness if not in it.

The only thing I can think of that would have been a legitimate reason to run it another way would be concerns over possible problems with the ICW around PC to Apalachicola where damage from Michael is concerned. Even then, it really doesn't make any sense. Too bad we didn't talk before you made that decision as I could have probably saved you a buck or two, and your wife wouldn't be afraid to ride on the boat now! LOL

I'm just glad they didn't run into issues on that crossing which could have had catastrophic results.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Well, if your point is to hug the coast and only do short hops during daylight, what can I say? I really didn't buy the boat for that. I am also not a fan of rivers. The only part my wife didn't like, and didn't like a lot, was the 6 foot seas, and that is because she gets sea sick. I am not prone to sea sickness, but it looks pretty miserable. In any event, I still couldn't drag her off the boat. I offered. She said "No way!" The only crossing even close to that one that I see myself making regularly is to the Bahamas, although I think there are some long legs if you continue down the chain of islands. I will probably do a straight shot to the Keys as well, but that will be along the coast.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

There is no, "hugging the coast", on the route I suggested as it's too shallow for that. You're out of sight of land more than not, but it just allows daytime running and more options should the weather turn nasty or a problem develops. That along with the scenery of the ICW between Mobile and Apalachicola makes it a no-brainer, in my opinion.

I too like running on open, coastal waters over the rivers, but each has its own beauty. I definitely don't care for running the ICW where there are numerous bridges and no wake zones, but that is not the case in the stretch above. I avoid the ICW altogether on the west coast until Boca Grande Pass if the plan is to run the OWW.

She looks like a nice boat, and I hope she serves you well.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Just because I am sitting here bored.

In by boat 65 convertable.

Panama City to Clearwater almost straight shot, but have to stay of Cape San Blas aprox. 260 miles, Marina to Marina.

Hull speed 11 kts +- is 24 hours 543 gallons about 1600 dollars ($3 dollars per gallon)
    23 kts +- is about 12 hours 1150 gallons about 3500 dollars

Captain charged me 300 dollars plus meals and a rental car home to Panama City.

So I did hull speed, really did not have to worry about hot motors or other mechanical issues, due to motors not working hard. I have 8V396 four strokes. Saved about 1500 dollars, and the nigh time cruise was awesome, and my nerves were not shot staring at temp gauges all night.

It was rough enough to wash the name off of the starboard bow, but she is 103 thousand pounds, so almost smooth ride.

Do it again in a hart beat.

Thanks for letting me tell my story,

Tim

Well, I did the Clearwater to Panama City run in my 58... on one engine. So there.

If it's just about saving time and/or money, yes, it's a no brainer. If it's about safety and enjoying the trip, that too is a no-brainer that you DON'T. I only did it because I got bad advice where Steinhatchee was concerned, and I had limited maneuverability. After making the trip via Steinhatchee and the ICW across the top, I kicked myself for ever going the way I did.

Your 65C is a whole different animal than a 53 or 58 motor yacht, even if you run at hull speed.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Years ago I made the run from PC to Clearwater several times with my then 43 DC. Most of my trips
    went very well. We didn't have a choice but to do hull speed as the 43DC has very limited fuel capacity.
    On one of our trips it got very bad out there and we diverted to Cedar Key. Good thing we did as our
    fuel was almost all gone when we got to the dock. Apparently, we used much more fuel because of the
    weather conditions. I would recommend running inside to Appalachicola then on to Clearwater. With
    limited fuel capacity, topping off at Appalachicola also reduced concern about running out of fuel.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Well, I did the Clearwater to Panama City run in my 58... on one engine. So there.

If it's just about saving time and/or money, yes, it's a no brainer. If it's about safety and enjoying the trip, that too is a no-brainer that you DON'T. I only did it because I got bad advice where Steinhatchee was concerned, and I had limited maneuverability. After making the trip via Steinhatchee and the ICW across the top, I kicked myself for ever going the way I did.

Your 65C is a whole different animal than a 53 or 58 motor yacht, even if you run at hull speed.
    Hello Randy,

I met you just after that trip in Clearwater, Hope to see you again soon. I still have that bottle of Goose in the Fridge.

Yes I almost did not reply to the thread, as my boat is designed for off shore nasty conditions, but as noted I was bored this morning.

Just a quick other story:

One month after moving my boat, a good friend traded in his Hatt 43c for a 45 ft Cat sailboat.
    He assisted me moving mine from PC to CW, and asked if I would help him because my trip was easy. We sailed from Pensacola to Ft. Myers, tacking straight shot, 3 days 2 nights, and it was rough, cold and nasty. Cats sit on top of the water like a bell buoy, and the ride in a cat is just like sailing a bell buoy. I think he had a 3 ft draft because of running gear, not the hulls.

I took my teenage son with us. I have never been sea sick, nor has the lad, ever. But, this took me over the top, bobbing around wet and cold for 3 days and nights. All 4 soles on board took turns hoovering over a bucket. Sailing is slow.

I would have paid for a helicopter to come get us if we had a Sat phone. That was not a fun ride. We should have split it up, hugged the coast, and used the beautiful river system that God has provided. The Gulf is huge at 3 to 7 knots.

Now this has no bearings on moving a motor yacht, or a sporty, but again I am a little bored here at work.

Have a great week,
    Tim