Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearwater

Clearwater

How easy is it to enter Clearwater at night? Kind of racing some weather in the gulf and that puts us coming into Clearwater at night.

Re: Clearwater

It's easy, but you have to pay attention once you cross under the bridge. You headed to the marina?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Sent you a PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

4. Re: Clearwater

As you get within a couple of miles from shore, you’ll need to keep a sharp lookout for crab pots, especially as the wind gets up.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    It's easy, but you have to pay attention once you cross under the bridge. You headed to the marina?
    Yes, the municipal marina. They got an early start and should be there tomorrow afternoon. They are coming straight across from Mobile. Then it is probably to the Okachobee waterway, across, and up to Port Canaveral. We were going to go the Keys, but the conditions will be bad by then.

They ended up arriving at night anyways. They hit some rough (6+) seas on the way over that slowed them down several hours. Actually, they were in that for 20 hours of the trip. The boat did great, my wife got sick. I met them at the marina when they arrived and the inlet / marina was pretty easy, save for the sailboats with no lights. They departed this morning and should be here in a few days.They drove from mobile to clearwater (340 miles) at 1250 RPM / 1100 during the rough stuff and burned almost exactly a gallon per mile.

So they slowed down when it got rough? Usually I speed up when it gets rough. I find the roll and pitch to usually be less on plane than at hull speed.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky is right there. 15+ knots will be a much better ride than 9. Just get on plane and enjoy.

Plus stabilizers work better at speed.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    So they slowed down when it got rough? Usually I speed up when it gets rough. I find the roll and pitch to usually be less on plane than at hull speed.
    In 6 to 8 foot waves you speed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Sky is right there. 15+ knots will be a much better ride than 9. Just get on plane and enjoy.

Plus stabilizers work better at speed.
    The ride was good when it was 1 to 2'. 6 to 8', not so much. I told the captain to leave the night before and put some time between him and the weather, but he thought he would be fine leaving in the morning. When we are going 100 miles or so, I'll plane (if it can). When it is 1800 miles, I am going hull speed. I have other things to do with that extra $3,000 of fuel.

To be honest, if they wanted some speed, they should have put stronger engines in these boats. I can see choosing between hull speed and 20+ knots, but hull speed and 15 knots? If I had a Yacht Fish, I probably would ride fast most of the time.