Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Another one bites the dust...

Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Another one bites the dust...

That sucks and hurts to look
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Very sad. Thanks for the content warning.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

So I have a question. I thought there was a lot of warning, before that storm hit. I have a 'little' 43' DCFB and can run about 210 miles at 13kts (300 gals @ 0.7 mpg)with a 20% reserve (75 gals). I think I would/could have run out of the way. With a boat that size and will more speed than I have, what would it have taken to run her out of harms way?
    >> Why do any of you think she was still in her mooring?
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 11-03-2018 at 01:07 AM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

What a shame.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    So I have a question. I thought there was a lot of warning, before that storm hit. I have a 'little' 43' DCFB and can run about 210 miles at 13kts (300 gals @ 0.7 mpg)with a 20% reserve (75 gals). I think I would/could have run out of the way. With a boat that size and will more speed than I have, what would it have taken to run her out of harms way?
    >> Why do any of you think she was still in her mooring?
    Unless you go a great distance well in advance you can't run away. Spin a quarter down a slight incline. You still can't predict with 100% accuracy where its path will be. Years ago Charley was certain to hit Tampa Bay. Except it suddenly cut inland, ripped Punta Gorda a new one, and traveled through the center of the state hitting everyone who "escaped" the storm.

When We are directly in the path of a storm 5 days out I believe there is a better chance we don't get it than do.

My reasoning is at least as sound as any "forecaster".

Some storms are easier to avoid than others especially when they come at a shallow angle tomthe coast like Charley did

Nowadays, NHC usually pinpoints the landfall with fairly good accuracy 72 to 96 hours in advance. Unless the storm follows the coast, you don’t have to move more than 50 to 75 miles to escape catastrophic damage.

Where NHC often fails isnintensity forecasts and they often admit it in their forecast discussion. Also, sometimes you can have strong winds and tornadoes in the rain ands away from the center of circulation causing severe damage, that was the case in Miami with Irma

Irma was a little tricky as at 72 to 96 hours Miami and the NW Bahamas were in crosshairs. With a forecast turn and swipe along the coast, the logical escape was around keys to the west coast. My 53 was stuck in its slip pending repower but I had to make the call for the 84 Lazzara I run and secured dockage in Tampa. At 72 hours NHC started shifting the forecast west first inland along the Florida Peninsula then along the west coast kind of like charley

At 48 hours it was clear that the west coast was going to get it and after the 11pm forecast on Thursday night I decided to run east with the 84, to Eleuthera. We left at midnight, ran all night and got to Hatchet Bay at noon on Friday Never got more than 20kts and not a drop of rain My 53 survived with some damage but in our immediate area hundreds of boats were wrecked, sunk or havilu damaged. Among those were about a dozen 60+’boats which could have escaped

Problem is fetch. The marinas here in coconut grove are exposed to the bay and waves build to serious. Pretty much like New Bern for Florence. Too exposed to the SE. same with the 2005 storm (Frances?) which wrecked Stuart.

Not easy playing chicken with a monster storm...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Rarer still. Does that have a cockpit?