Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flibs 2018

Re: Flibs 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    I do agree, however there were many boats, as well as high end toys with SOLD signs hanging, and roped off. Could have been sold prior to bringing to show? Perhaps, still these brokers should have had the enthusiasm to see a future buyer. Could be first of the year, maybe longer before ready for that jump up. Perhaps too many tire kickers wasting valuable time numbing their senses.

I tried to make small talk exhibiting my ability to purchase as not to brag about worth. Doesn't matter, I own a boat of my dreams, working to making it better each month. Who knows, may have a scary moment with the wife, and she may insist in downsizing instead of going up in size.

However, that 68 convertable is about as nice of boat as I have seen. There are several custom boats here I have toured, but that 68 almost has me won over. Almost. I do hope boat number 4 will still be a Hatt.

Tim
    Tim - we had a very similar experience 2 years ago. Really felt put off and like riff raff even though we are loyal Hatt owners. They don't care. We had a good time last year and this year, I will admit, mostly by lowering our expectations on the people and just going for the full on boat experience and visiting our favorite vendors. I guess it is about the $$ in sales. About 10 of the for sale boats from our marina made the trip down there to try to get some of the traffic. I just spoke with the broker of an Azimut that was still washing his boat down a few minutes ago and it was a major expense / ordeal to get the boat down there and sit on it 9 hours / day hoping for the right traffic, so to Pascals point, I guess that is understandable. Good luck on your quest for the next boat and I'm sure you will get better treatment as you get closer to the goal...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

OK, I get the sales thing..........however, we area about a year or 18 months away from another downturn. At that point, I always remember the folks who treated me well in the high times, and patronize them during the slow times. I think this is a common mistakes made by companies that focus on the one time sale. Companies that are visionary groom the next generation of sales. I'm not saying that the salesman shouldn't concentrate on the sales of today, but to treat the sales of tomorrow poorly will come back to haunt them. Winter is coming................

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    we area about a year or 18 months away from another downturn
    I'll split any gains with you if you cover my shorts?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

How quickly boat dealers forget the 2009-2013. Its going to happen again and like car dealers they will have there hand out for help. Truly Sad

It’s inherent in the marine industry. Brokers, captains, and crew show entitlement and snub others as if they could afford the very boat they are standing on. It’s the same as a snooty waiter at an expensive restaurant. Just eat, and leave a horrible tip. While I appreciate the work that brokers and realtors do, it’s really no longer vital. Any savvy buyer can search yachtworld, contact the selling agent, and negotiate a deal with a reduced commission since it’s not split. Yes that’s harsh, but it’s reality and it’s how I purchased my last three boats. The brokers (even your own) really want to push a deal through, so your unbiased info comes from your surveyor anyhow.Sorry for the bad boat show experience. At least there were bloody Mary’s.