Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flibs 2018

Flibs 2018

Went the past 2 days, wow, always an experience. Here are a couple pics. Toured the new Hatt 90 MY. One pic from the bridge. Then they had to shoo us away for a real potential buyer, which we were fine with. Also, an early 1990’s 92’ Hatteras fishin boat! Asking $1.5M through Allied. So fun. Anyone else attending?
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: Flibs 2018

I am going tomorrow. Taking wife and daughter. I want to see the new GT's, and will probably spend the most of my time looking at parts and accessories.

I do want to spend some time looking at the Hatteras' though.

Tim

I so wanted to go and look at the M75 Hat. But our first grandbaby turns 1 and drove to College Park MD. Have a great time.

I went.

I did not enjoy it like the past.

Brokers, captains, and staff showing boats were not interested in showing boats. Only wanted to sell boats. Every boat I wanted to see, I was honest. They asked my position, stated I have a 65c and want to upgrade in the future. Wanted to see their boat to compare. I also stated while owning a 45 I visited a 65, fell in love and bought it on the spot, then had to sell the 45, so a sale was not out of the question. I toured only 4 boats, and there was a definite disconnect. Even the Hatteras folks were not a blast. They said all boats were privately owned, and to see one I had to have a broker. This is after I registered at their desk. So I took off my Hatteras decal they gave me and tossed in the trash by their booth.

I really wanted to see the 92, as I always thought that If I sold Fish Tales, that is the direction I may like to consider. The stretched version of the 82c. The entire showing, the broker was pushing the 74 Viking, said the 92 was not a very good fishing boat. Told him that I am on my 3rd Hatt, and I am loyal to the brand. Stated he has been working on Hatts all his life (appeared to be in his 30's) and Viking is the way to go. Need to stay away from the Hatteras line as they dropped the ball in the 90's. He asked what boats I have had, I told him and said current was a 65c, he said I cannot afford that boat. Viking is cheaper to maintain, better on fuel and faster. Sad.

He asked what other boats I toured. I told him of the 68 Hatt up the dock I really loved. She had a 21 foot beam and Cat powered. 3 feet extra in length and width made the boat look twice as big as mine. The wife even said we may have to consider that boat in a year or two after kids get out of school. This brain dead broker on the 92 said the 68 was the worst boat Hatteras ever built. Almost impossible to dock, because of the extra beam. Also a slow ride, and rolly off shore.

So I got another double Goose, Karla got a Bloody Mary, and went in to see all of the vendors. Those people were friendly. Left at 4:30, skipped the Convention Center. Will skip next year.

Hope someone else had a better time.

Have a good week,
    Tim
    Old, slow and outdated

A good customer from Daytona went. He said it was a waste of 10 hours drive time.

He is looking to repower and wanted to see what was the latest greatest. Funny how the deere people pushed him to lower hp engines as a simple and cheap to maintain option like the charter captains like.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Wow really sad. I know that Hatteras does not have any yachts not sold to show off. They only build for clients and will not build a boat for shows. Except for a new model to show off but it's most likely sold prior to a show. I was hoping to go but was unable. Was thinking about Miami in March wonder if that would be the same way. Really sad.

Wow really sad. I know that Hatteras does not have any yachts not sold to show off. They only build for clients and will not build a boat for shows. Except for a new model to show off but it's most likely sold prior to a show. I was hoping to go but was unable. Was thinking about Miami in March wonder if that would be the same way. Really sad.

2 boats I looked at had people sitting in the salon, eating, watching ball on TV. Felt like I was in someones living room uninvited. They did not have on crew shirts, so could have been attendees?

Just even had a hard time talking to folks on the dock. It seemed most of the people we passed, all had show credentials. Captains, crew, brokers and assistants. Touring each others boats and hovering around the sterns. Made the docks hard to navigate. All were in a hurry to get by you, thought I might end up in the river several times.

Probably just me, I am older this year.

Want to hear the Miami review.

Have a good week, no more ranting from me.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    I went.

I did not enjoy it like the past.

Brokers, captains, and staff showing boats were not interested in showing boats. Only wanted to sell boats.
    Isn’t selling boats what this is all about? Once you reach 50/60’ While a few buyers will just walk up I think nearly all serious buyers will make plans thru their brokers to see the boats they are interested in. The builders use inexperienced staff to handle the walk ups resulting in the silliness you mentioned
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Isn’t selling boats what this is all about? Once you reach 50/60’ While a few buyers will just walk up I think nearly all serious buyers will make plans thru their brokers to see the boats they are interested in. The builders use inexperienced staff to handle the walk ups resulting in the silliness you mentioned
    I do agree, however there were many boats, as well as high end toys with SOLD signs hanging, and roped off. Could have been sold prior to bringing to show? Perhaps, still these brokers should have had the enthusiasm to see a future buyer. Could be first of the year, maybe longer before ready for that jump up. Perhaps too many tire kickers wasting valuable time numbing their senses.

I tried to make small talk exhibiting my ability to purchase as not to brag about worth. Doesn't matter, I own a boat of my dreams, working to making it better each month. Who knows, may have a scary moment with the wife, and she may insist in downsizing instead of going up in size.

However, that 68 convertable is about as nice of boat as I have seen. There are several custom boats here I have toured, but that 68 almost has me won over. Almost. I do hope boat number 4 will still be a Hatt.

Tim