Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1986 41 Hatteras electronics/ navionics suite choices

I just purchased my first 40+ boat, a 1986 Hatteras 41C Series 2, galley up, with 6-71's. I need to move it from just north of Mexican border to New Orleans in the next month. It is dry docked/ prepped to be painted and needs the new genset to be installed. I think it would be better to have it done in home port of New Orleans for the sake of logistics and travel. Those things said, I have a few questions, mainly regarding electronics.
    The boat is equipped with full tuna tower, but all navigational equipment has been removed except VHF marine antennae. The electronics box (overhead) has been removed for paint as well. The few nav electronics are boxed but obsolete and not able to integrate. What electronics systems do you recommend, based on price, integration, and function? I require radar, chart plotter, and ultimately sonar, but that can wait. I understand commercial vessels are required to use open array, but has dome technology caught up enough to be suitable? What systems Garmin 42xx, SimRad 3G/4G, etc. do you suggest?
    The initial trip will be on ICW, what should I be most concerned with? Floating debris (radar), shoaling (sonar/ depth finder), Charting GPS? Will portable/ handheld VHF marine radios be adequate or should I install 25 watt mobiles first? Future will include mooring in Lake Pontchartrain, travel to Gulf Shores- Pensacola monthly.
    Also, any recommendations on painting in NOLA versus TX? Any facilities that you can recommend based on recent experiences?
    Last, the Cummins Onan genset is onboard and mounted but needs fuel, electrical, and cooling lines connected. Again, any personal experiences in that area?
    Thank you in advance from a new guy looking to network with experienced mariners. Respectfully, Paul

Re: 1986 41 Hatteras electronics/ navionics suite choices

I just sent another member the items he needed to install on his boat to bring it home from the midwest.

If you wish PM me and I can go over the options with you and work out getting the gear you need.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I used to run with a compass and a chart. So, what do you need? I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with. Today, I would rather have a good plotter, sounder and radar. And, as long as I was updating, I would go with the latest technology. I like Garmin personally, but others prefer Ray, Furuno, etc. It think its depends on what you're used to using.

As far as navigating the intercoastal, sometimes a chart and good pair of binoculars are your best tools.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Garmin is the easiest to learn and has a consistent menu system through many generations of their gear.

I also like their integration of phones, tablets and software updates. I sell 10x more Garmin than the other brands for a reason.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

on the intercoastal you will NEED a good vhf, radar is also high on the list if you plan to run at night. ais would be a big help also, there is a LOT of commercial traffic on the west side of new orleans. as for painting , schuberts marine at west end, and seabrook marine on the industrial canal (inner harbor navigation canal) are two that come to mind. i have seen paint jobs by both and the looked great.

Thank you, fellows. Seabrook was totally uninterested in the job, couldn't commit to a time frame, and was insistent on glassing port windows and headlights over to THEIR liking, despite saying I wanted to keep it original. It was after I politely explained that it was to remain original that the price, completion date, etc. became "hard to say." That was disappointing because it is convenient and seems to be a nice facility. I remember Schubert's having a good reputation, but it was 20 years ago that I was working in that area.
    Thank you for the Garmin tip. I know their land based devices are user friendly, but I have no experience with marine systems.
    Thank you all for swift replies and, please, keep them coming. I need as much input as possible.

A VHF AIS an absolute must for safety.

Sounder is also a must in the ICW although the Gulf is nice and deep. Since rhe boat is out now is the time to install the xducer anyway

At this time of the year where fog is possible in that area you want a radar. A few years ago i did a delivery to Galveston bay and the last 2 days from west of Nola to Galveston where in the soup.

Garmin has indeed one of the most user friendly interface
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat