Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Oil change system

Looking to add a oil change system to my new to me 53my w 8v71ti"s and a 16kw NL genset. I like the reverso setup but with a good pump I could rig up my own manifold and save a few bucks. What does everyone here use?

Re: Oil change system

Reverso. Why reinvent the wheel. They have a well built package that is easy to use. Simple to install and not overpriced.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I just had a Groco Ulube gear pump system installed during my repower. Haven’t used it yet... but whatever you do make sure you get a gear pump and not impeller. I had a Reverso impeller system before and it wasn’t as good as the gear punp system. Reverso sells both impeller and gear pump systems, make sure you get a gear pump
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I made my own with the generic 12v gear scavenge pumps on eBay. Total with all parts was about $250. Used once and worked great.

Thanks guys.

Groco are tougher, but any gear-pump unit should be fine. Especially if you are using it to pump hot oil OUT, and refilling the engine from above with clean oil, instead of pumping it into the oil pan. Pumping cold oil is where the weak ones don't work. I agree about the impeller-pump units. In my Reverso system, I had to change the impeller every time I did an oil change.

I had a reverso gear pump.

Didnt know they made impeller ones
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Have had a Reverso since new in 2002. Always worked great for me.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Posting because I have an off the internet gear pump I bought used 9-10 years ago. I use it to change my own oil.

It is an electric motor over Oberdorfer gear pump, which I mounted on a 3/4" x 2' L x 10" W board. I think it was mounted on a restaurant grease tank, so will pump heavy weight fluid. Since it must weight 40 #'s, I also mounted handles on each end of the board; and I use them! It pumps cold 40 wgt oil no problem, and if pumping warm-hot oil, stand back, because it will fill a 5 gal pail in less than a minute. Makes fast work of the draining cycle.

I created a network of hoses that have shutoff on each end, because 40 wgt used oil makes a real mess, if not contained. I permanently attached a hose to the drain on each engine pan, with a shutoff at one end. A PO had drains installed on the pans, which have a built-in shut off poppet valve, which accepts garden hose sized hoses. I then have a 4 pipe manifold, which is for garden hoses, but which is attached to the hoses from the various oil sources: 2 6-71N's and an Onan Genset.

Instead of connecting and disconnecting to each source, I connect all of them to the manifold, then the one outlet to the pump. The manifold has valves on each pipe, which I cut in and out. When removing the hoses, I shutoff the valves at the end of each hose for containment.

I could easily back-pump into the pans, but I elect to pour from the bottles, into the engines oil adding ports.

I also used it to winterize with blue/red pop. However, I will in heated the rest of my owning days, so winterizing days are past.

P.s., yet I drag it on and off to use it. My story.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...