Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exhaust temperature sensor?

I would like to install some type of high temperature alarm / thermocouple for my 8v71 TI exhaust system. I lost a hose a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice anything until my high water alarm went off. (Actually the hose was fine, the pipe had corroded and slipped out of the end of the hose) Luckily the engine didn't seem to suffer any ill effects or get too hot. Some of the water was still being sent through the engine. It makes me nervous not having some type of high exhaust temp alarm now....Does anyone have a suggestion / brand / where / how ...to install ideas?

Thanks,

Capt Ned

78 46 CONV

2. Exhaust temperature sensor?

I'm interested in this also. I have heard ISSPRO is a good brand but do not know a model number. I searched this list but did not see a specific brand/model recommendation. Use either a port in the turbo or weld a mount;the strap on installation was NOT recommended.

Another great safety sensor is a salt water flow meter. It's a gate valve with a magnetic switch and if water is lost, the gate valve closes and activates an alarm. If raw water is lost, the alarm is immediate...sounds BEFORE any temperature rise. The alarm sender is available from West Marine, probably others. I forget the brand name, but it's been in their catalogue...that's how I got the idea...Just cut space in you cooling hose and clamp in place. Biggest job is running wires and installing audible/visible alarms at your helm.

3. Re: Exhaust temperature sensor?

Safety Note:
    When something like this happens (loss of raw water) be sure to inspect the INSIDE of the exhaust hose(s) for burning/bubbles-the section before the muffler connected to the engine exhausts. Interior damage from heat can occur with NO external sign. If there is damage replace the hose and inspect the muffler collar (where the hose attaches);it can also be damaged.

Re: Exhaust temperature sensor?

I have exhaust temp alarms that are OEM and hooked up to my 12pt monitor. The sensors are just attached to the outside of the exhaust before the showerhead. They look identical to the temp sensors that are on the ceiling of each engine room that are hooked to my "fire" indicator alarm. Maybe you could just add these sensors. Probably Sams has them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

5. Re: Exhaust temperature sensor?

Yep - those are OEM and you should have 'em, and if they're not there, add 'em.

Also, as noted check the exhaust hoses. They're NOT fun to change if there's a problem, but if you DON'T change one and its been damaged, you will be most unhappy if it fails while offshore!

Hi, I had another problem and solved the problem. I installed 2 Hewitt Industry Pyrometers which tell you what the exhaust temprature is leaving the turbo. I bought the Pyrometers from a fellow Hatteras owner and Contacted Hewitt Industries and the were very helpfull with the 2 probs and cabling. Contact Hewitt Industries 1-562-424-3606 and tell them what engine you have. You will need to know what size threaded opening you have on your exhaust risers and the length cable to the fly bridge and what type of gauge. You can obtain 1 duel gauge or two seperate gauges. When arrives insert the probs, pull the wire and install the gauge you will not need any 12 or 24 volt power except the lights on the flybridge. The pyrometer operates just like a thermocouple so no power is needed. I know this sure makes for a much more comfortale ride knowing what is going on with the exhaust. Your engines have a maximum exhaust temperature and you should check with the manufacture or the engin spec sheet. Good luck and EMail me tomc@tidewaterac.com if there are questions. Good luck.

Just curious--What's the approximate cost for a set of pyro's?
    Sky Cheney

Hi, I would estimate that they would run total about $125.00 each you need to call Hewitt Industries ask for Bruce ext 104 1-714-891-9300 and he will fix you up Gauge was $50.00 sensors were $28.78 each and cable 45 Ft for $40.00 with proper ends. We felt this was reasonable. You may want two seprate gauges which will cost more. Sure is nice to know what temprature your exhaust is so you do not burn up number 5 cylinder on Detroit 671 TI 485 hp diesel engines. Please advise if you have more questions. Tom

Sounds pretty reasonable, even though I'd need 2 double gauges, 4 senders, plus the cables. Still maybe only 3-400 bucks total.
    Sky Cheney

But Sky, that pyros won't help eliminate your problem. That exhaust at the outlet of the turbo is way hot. We then add the cooling water so we don't have to use stainless steel pipes that glow red. I assume the problem you had was a water cooling line failure, or a rubber exhaust hose failure. Pyros are used on diesel applications where they are being pushed hard for a long time. their purpose is to warn you when to back off the throttle to be kind to your turbo chargers. They will read the same whether you have cooling water flow or not. ( I think)