Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 40 motor yacht

40 motor yacht

Hi I am a new member trying to learn about Hatteras boats for a future purchase. I am interested in buying a 40 foot motoryacht as my retirement boat. My question is these boats way about 30,000 pounds until 1990 then they weigh 38,000 pounds according to the brochure. Can anyone tell Me why the boat is 8000 pounds more after 1990. Thanks

Re: 40 motor yacht

Dont ever ask your wife that question.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I believe the lower weight is with the 454 gas engines, the higher weight the Cat diesels. I have a series 1, 1987 boat. Hanging on the travel lift showed 29,500 lbs. with the 454 engines. By the way the brochure for the series 1 shows 2' plus draft, it is 4'6". If you have any further questions, happy to help. Bob

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the response. I thought the brochure said it was with the biggest engines but per haps not for all years. How do you like your boat? I saw one in my yard and have been looking into them ever cents. I have a shortlist of boats but this one is on the top although I haven’t been on yet. I hope to retire with this bowl and Snowbird to Florida. Any tips or reviews you could give me about the boat would be much appreciated. Thank you. JJ

Probably should have spell checked that before I sent it LOL. JJ

The spelling is fine. Its just some of the words that are wrong.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

JJWYC - To sum it up, I absolutely love the boat. I bought her 4 years ago . Since then I still look at Yachtworld every day at new listings in our price range. To date have not found a boat that we would have purchased over her. 18 years ago we bought a 36 trawler with diesels when we lived close to the Hudson River. We brought her down to New Bern, North Carolina and was kept at the dock at our house. We just could not live with the heat so we moved to waterfront on Lake Champlain. The trawler was sold to the people that bought our house. Shortly after being up North, we bought a 1963 Hatteras 34 SC. That boat was a battleship and could take any weather you could throw at her. As much as I love our 40, she is nowhere as stable as the 34 was. Our trawler had Lehman diesels, our 34 350 ci gas and our 40 454 Crusaders. I run our 40 at 2,000 rpm and burn about 12 gal per hour at 10-12 mph. This is fast enough with looking at all the beautiful scenery and mountains where we live. In our application I have no problem in having the gas engines. Be careful, diesels can be a false economy. I suggest you read an article by David Pascoe on gas/vs diesel engines. Good luck! Bob

JJWYC,

I have owned a Hatteras 1989 40 DC (series 1) for the past 7 years and I am very pleased with the boat (it is not for sale). It is a fresh water boat with 454 Crusader engines and was very well cared for. You can check out some photos on this website under "lake of the woods".

Depending on what you want to use your boat for this size may be a good choice. As a full time live aboard it would consider it a bit too small even for two people. However if you are looking for a boat to spend up to a week at a time with four people it works very well. After a week I need to get off the boat for a few days. I am on an inland lake so the swell is not a concern. On the ocean I am sure it would rock a lot as it is not stabilized.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate your responses. I have a short list of boats but the hatteras keeps bubbling to the top. My buddy's parents had a 34 when I was a teenager. I loved that boat and regret not buying it when it was offered to me. I've read Pascoe and like his style but I still take it with a grain of salt. I like to talk to people that own as I feel they would have the best information on a particular boat. The search is on going and there are worse ways to spend your time than reading about boats. JJ

I notice that as Hatt has added power (at lot in some cases), the weight goes up, due to the much higher hull strength required. Case in point, my '72 43' DCFB is about 33,500 #'s in slings. A very recent 45' Hatt Converible or Sportfisher, is about 20k #'s more at 53k #'s. But it can run up to 1,400hp a side, 1,100hp std, vs my paltry 310hp DD 6-71's. So it can make 40 knots, a bullet proof hull requires mucho Fiberglas!

I once asked a very experienced ABYC tech at a well known Hatt yard, if they ever ran a big hull through a blow, to see how she would take it. The answer was "Yes!". Had a big 65 Sportfisher come in wih 40kt power. They went out on Lk MI during a good blow, probably 9ft seas or more. He said they ran hard, but she never came out of the water, but busted some massive seas! What do those hulls weigh...110K #'s I think.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...