Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

spot light conversion

has anybody converted a ray-line 10 inch spotlight to LED? i would like to keep the classic look but i would like to get more powerful light. my boat was 32v but when the po repowered her they went with 12 engine and generator, and also all of the heads. the only thing left 32 was the lighting so i changed that to 12v. in the process i had to go from a 100 watt 32v bulb to an 86 watt 12v bulb(thats the most wattage they offer in that style bulb) in the spotlight.

Re: spot light conversion

Is there an LED bulb that would just plug in there? Seems there might be. Look on Superbrightleds.com, they have quite a lot of choice.

Screw the style issue. I installed a few of the acr led search lights in both 12 and 24 volt.

I get a great deal on them and they are by far the brightest led I've played with.

PM if you want to talk about it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

What Scott said, the ACR led spotlight in 24v is a great piece of equipment, RCL 100D.
    LED bulbs throw light differently than regular type bulbs so it's not as simple as just finding one that will fit along with the correct candle power.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

If you wand the classic look but in a real new tech light, then get a Carlisle and Finch. Although it might cost as much as an engine rebuild.

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

cant find an led that is bright enough so i orders a new socket and i am going to replace the socket and put a 100 watt halogen bulb.if this doesnt do what i want, i will contact scott. sky THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN

My original spotlight has a 500 watt Cinemascope projector bulb. None of this LED stuff!

Once I needed the light but because of disuse one of the control handles came off. I sent a friend forward to aim it by hand. After about 30 seconds the metal housing got so hot it couldn't be touched! Had to send down to the galley for two hotpads.

It's a boat--there's always something.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    My original spotlight has a 500 watt Cinemascope projector bulb. None of this LED stuff!

Once I needed the light but because of disuse one of the control handles came off. I sent a friend forward to aim it by hand. After about 30 seconds the metal housing got so hot it couldn't be touched! Had to send down to the galley for two hotpads.

It's a boat--there's always something.

Great story, Jim. I once twisted my ankle quite badly after jumping down after changing the halogen bulb in my spotlight.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI