Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Real Cherry and Holly Flooring

I want to redo the salon floor on my 53’ Hatteras and I am interested in using a genuine, solid plank and holly strips. Real teak is expensive and thought about using cherry and holly. Is that a viable alternative and is it available? I cannot find anything on an internet search except for the synthetic. Thank you.

Re: Real Cherry and Holly Flooring

I redid my stairs in Cherry and a few other spots on the boat, love the look, however it is not as hard as teak and if you drop something heavy on it it will dent, but the look of cherry and holly would be outstanding. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I redid my stairs in Cherry and a few other spots on the boat, love the look, however it is not as hard as teak and if you drop something heavy on it it will dent, but the look of cherry and holly would be outstanding. John
    John, did they arrive ?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Thank you. Who was the supplier and did it have holly inserts?

Thanks Rusty, they did arrive and installed. I used solid Cherry wood no holly on stairs. Cut and installed my self and used 1/4 veneered cherry ply for the upright areas. Photos in my gallery. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have used cherry for tables and bulkheads on previous boats I have owned and love this wood. It accents nicely with teak and holly. The cherry wood does seem to darken with age.

Never used it on the floor but I would not hesitate!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

I replaced all the hardwood in my house with solid cherry, it will darken with age unless they are exposed to direct sunlight, then it will lighten.
    so it is possible that in the same room the floors will go from dark to light, and floor under area rugs
    will be different than the rest of floor. pull the rugs up and it will show dark surrounded by a lighter border.