Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Boat

New Boat

We finally stayed on our 53' Hatteras over the weekend and things went well. It is a 1978 53' MY with aft deck. It is a single owner (well, two now) fresh water under cover. The boat is still in Missouri but will be heading down here (Port Canaveral) in two weeks. It was originally due here about now, but (fortunately) got delayed, or we would have had an issue with that hurricane last week. The boat had an extensive refurb in 2011. Both engines were removed and rebuilt, the generator was replaced, all of the pumps replaced, new appliances (except for the stove) and numerous other things. All total, the bill (which I have a copy of) came to $185k. Evidently, a seacock broke and the boat sank at its slip up to the engines, and insurance took care of it. I've been on the boat several times inspecting, crawling around in the engine rooms and on the floor of the generator space, on my hands and knees, and the boat is clean. I guess since it was fresh water and they pulled it up the same day and it spent 9 months in a building, with workers all over it, they managed to save it. When I first heard it, I was of course turned off, but after seeing the work done, and having looked at everything a few times, I am almost glad it happened.

Since 2011 it wasn't used a lot, and the engines only have a couple hundred hours on them. I've only been on one other Hatteras, so I am no expert, but during the sea trial the engines seemed to start and run like new and there wasn't any smoke. The generator was flawless, which is expected since it is new. The A/C units look original, but are all functioning strong. We only used two units for heat and it was too much (it was in the 40's), though we are getting a hang of the 3 knob controllers.

The only mechanical system that isn't working is the shower sump pump in the forward crew cabin. Well, and the ancient electronics, which I am in the process of replacing. It had Loran, the (huge) Decca radar, and a radio telephone (also rather big). But, I do like that the boat is all original. The wood is in excellent shape, though I haven't seen many Hatteras's that weren't, unless they painted it poorly, or it sat unused and abused.

And of course, thanks for all of the expertise here.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 10-14-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Re: New Boat

Get it down here already. What's the holdup😎

Call if you need anything whe you get here.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum. I have a 1979 53. If there are any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. One of us can surly help. Please don’t through anything away. Even if it’s not going to be used again. Someone on this site can use it. Add photos.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Congratulations

There are often way too many left over thru hulls on these boats from the old heads... i was always woried about them which is why that was the first thing i did when repowered. I m down to 4 (mains, gen and AC) and will need one more when installing a watermaker. I even switch the holdig tank discharge to above water line

I would carefully inspect all the sea cocks. Usually the sea cocks dont break, what sink boats are copper nipples instead of bronze...

I also replaced and upgraded all the bilge pumps, switches, wiring and power feed. Spending $200k reffiting and not addressign sea cocks and pumps is just plain dumb
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Get it down here already. What's the holdup

Call if you need anything whe you get here.
    I am sure you will hear from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Congratulations

There are often way too many left over thru hulls on these boats from the old heads... i was always woried about them which is why that was the first thing i did when repowered. I m down to 4 (mains, gen and AC) and will need one more when installing a watermaker. I even switch the holdig tank discharge to above water line

I would carefully inspect all the sea cocks. Usually the sea cocks dont break, what sink boats are copper nipples instead of bronze...

I also replaced and upgraded all the bilge pumps, switches, wiring and power feed. Spending $200k reffiting and not addressign sea cocks and pumps is just plain dumb
    That is the most damning thing about this. The fear. I would think people would close these things every time they leave the boat, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We did check everything when the boat was hauled out for the survey.

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    That is the most damning thing about this. The fear. I would think people would close these things every time they leave the boat, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We did check everything when the boat was hauled out for the survey.
    Congratulations, you are e few steps ahead of me and I am enjoying it vicariously.

With you and Pascal seacocks are VERY high on my list of attention getters. After all, they are (controlled) HOLES in the boat.

*I know where they all are, I can find them in the dark, and they work.
    *There is nothing in the space where they are that will obstruct access if motion gets lively, or are heavy enough to damage them if they flop around.
    *I close them if used infrequently and when not in use. (Macerators, AC in January etc)
    *I close them all when leaving the boat for more than a few hours.
    *I have plugs appropriate for the hole size tied on with a string.

I know the Hatts have alarms, I will have to study the float locations and the efficacy of the signals. In boats I've owned without I installed one. Float switch low, just above the pump. And the horn: NAPA..... two tone Chevy..... LOUD. Hear it anywhere on the ship with motor(s) running at cruise speed.

If you pop something a foot or two below the water line and the sea comes in the volume is stunning. Unless you have serious high HP pump(s) you are not keeping up. Once the leak is under water it can be very hard to find. Your best hope is to find out early, find the source and shut it down.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-15-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to the Forum. I have a 1979 53. If there are any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. One of us can surly help. Please don’t through anything away. Even if it’s not going to be used again. Someone on this site can use it. Add photos.
    Thanks. I will post pictures once we get it down here. The hull # is 529.

I've got a 1980 Hatt 53' MY on a 2009 frame off refurb. I love the 53 form factor and look. I've gotten to know her fairly well at this point. I'll look forward to seeing pics of yours.

You already know this, but the URL for this site should be engraved under the Coast Guard Registration number of every legacy Hatteras Yacht, as you can't (easily)own one without the kind support of the more senior gents on this forum. I might trip up and answer something by accident sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by jrmccoy View Post
    I've got a 1980 Hatt 53' MY on a 2009 frame off refurb. I love the 53 form factor and look. I've gotten to know her fairly well at this point. I'll look forward to seeing pics of yours.

You already know this, but the URL for this site should be engraved under the Coast Guard Registration number of every legacy Hatteras Yacht, as you can't (easily)own one without the kind support of the more senior gents on this forum. I might trip up and answer something by accident sometimes!
    Get some photos on yours as well. Hull number?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California