Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras 60 vs Viking 61

So, I just came out of a beautiful 62' custom sportfish with C32's. I need to focus on work for 6 months, then may want make a value play and go production boat for a few years, while my son is young and to help with cash flow. There is nothing performance wise better than what I just came out of. 1900 rpms was 33 knots at 100gph. Looking at options for next year, I have kind of narrowed it down to these two, maybe a 64' viking. I can find both of the above with c32's. I have friends that have a hatteras with 32s, and they say 30 knots at 1950 is what they see. I have not seen numbers with a viking 61 with C32's, but assume similar to the hatteras numbers. Can get into a hatteras for probably 800 or so, viking 900- 1mill. Do any of you have incite into either model with those engines? What would you do? I am steering clear of MTU's and MANs. Thanks in advance.

Re: Hatteras 60 vs Viking 61

Viking 64 is a really great boat, that being said a friend recently sold his 64, building another Viking for spring delivery, but he did have a ton of issues with the c32's for some reason. His previous boat was a Viking 61 with Cats also which he loved. Think I would pick the 61 over the Hatteras 60, geez I hate to say that, they are both good boats. Viking has always pushed the MANs and MTU's over CAT. MAN often fit better into many of their boats, but when all things are equal they try to steer people away from them, think a big part of that is the local CAT distributer (Ransome) was a little weak on the marine front although they had stepped up their game recently, they were just sold to Foley which apparently doesn't want much to do with the marine side.
    Last edited by Cricket; 10-15-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

It is a interesting dilemma. Both boats have outstanding build quality and ride. Viking 61s with the engines you want are 100% over 1MM and are getting hard to find. The lower priced older 2001-2 are 28 Knot boats and usually high hours. The couple that are on the lower side I have been and they are a bit beat up but are captained maintained.

On the other side a close friend ran a 60 Hatteras from Caribbean to NJ every year an stands behind the boat. They do tend to be slower and a bit more chunky in the looks department but are still solid 28 knot boats.

If you go viking go with 2002 or newer as they had some small upgrades by the viking team. For Hatteras try to go with 2000 or newer as they also had some style and other improvements.

My 2 cents get the viking for dock appeal or get the Hatteras and save 200K, both are excellent boats. Honestly I am probably going with a Hatteras to save (I am looking at a 52 Hatt verse a 53 viking).

I have not owned either boat. The general opinion seems to be that the Cat engines are less expensive to service, require less maintenance, and more people will work on them. Service costs on MANs in particular and MTUs also are said to be formidable. I think I would look at one of each and buy the layout that you like better- but make sure you have Cat engines. There are no Cummins engines in that power range that I know of, for boats such as these. I am not familiar enough with four-cycle DDs such as the Series 60s etc to say anything, although the charter operators seemed to like them. But all of them must be pretty old by now.

Thanks for the replies. So, I have a contract on a Hatteras 60 GT, which gives me the layout I want, C32 acerts 1800hp, which will give me the performance I am used to. I also think these GT's look better than the comparable Vikings. Planning on surveying, etc, but may end up back in the Hatteras club pretty soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredup62 View Post
    So, I just came out of a beautiful 62' custom sportfish with C32's.
    What did you have? Was it cold-molded?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I am thinking he may have had a few Carolina Customs over the years, one being a Ricky Gillikin.

Pretty sure they had a Blackwell and then a Winter, friend looked at both of them to buy.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

You are correct, the Winter was down in Provo a few years back, the Dr. and his family were and I am sure still are a class act. Very good people.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    What did you have? Was it cold-molded?
    Yes, as mentioned, it was Tim Winters Hull #1. Fantastic Boat!! Can't say enough about his crew and the fact that was his first boat is just incredible. But, I had a lot into the boat, and can't quite use her enough to justify the premium over production. That was my 3rd custom boat in a row. I haven't had a production boat since my first boat that i bought in 2004, which was a 1975 hatteras 36. My father had a bunch of production boats though, and for the money, it's hard to beat a Hatteras or a viking. They each have great models, but I specifically want a certain speed and accommodation package.