Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Attested To By a Notary Public

I noticed a very old DIESEL sportfish laying off the docks here early evening two days ago. I watched it for a while because was belching smoke sitting out there in neutral. Figured they were in trouble. A bit later they closed the dock and asked if anyone was behind me on the T-head. I helped them tie up. Old, really sad shape, no bow cleat, lines greasy, frayed and green, rotting wood all around, the works. Still putting out lots of black smoke idling. Turns out one of the guys onboard just bought it. I don't want to say the boat was junk, but free would have been over paying by a mile.

IMG_9711.jpg

I asked them what they thought was wrong. A guy onboard said they thought they "had the mixture wrong." I kinda let that pass; it wasn't any of my business. Figured they'd had a long day.

Yesterday, they had a diver down. I was within earshot when the diver asked them what was wrong. The same guy repeated he thought they had the "fuel mixture wrong." The diver said something like, 'What are you talking about?' The guy said maybe they put too much oil in the fuel.

I don't know what kind of motors they have. They weren't Detroits unless that's how Detroits sound when you get the mixture wrong.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Attested To By a Notary Public

I thought you were supposed to put the oil in the fuel if you had a two stroke......?

I have a pair of DD 12-71's since 1991, never yet added oil, do not see that requirement anywhere in the DD manuals, fuel Co, also states not needed.

Were they in the insect control business?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Were they in the insect control business?
    You know, I did notice the mosquitos weren’t bad when he was running.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

6. Re: Attested To By a Notary Public

unnamed.jpg

Maybe they were following an old Johnson 2-stroke mix chart
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

Robert you need to help them out. Show them yours so they can see what’s in store for them. Rookies need love.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I should’ve added this story to my last post but I didn’t think of it until after I hit send. I have an old friend who owns a 55 foot Chris-Craft with 8V71 naturals. He is an old-school diesel mechanic and believes in dumping is used motor oil after an oil change into the fuel tanks. They smokes like crazy but he says he has no issues with them running. I think he’s crazy and would never do it myself, could you imagine what your filters are gonna look like after pouring black used oil into the fuel tanks. Not to mention the injectors and the rest of the system.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Robert you need to help them out. Show them yours so they can see what’s in store for them. Rookies need love.
    You supply the hazmat suit and I'll do it, Rusty.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I just pumped 10 gallons of used oil from my cummins 6.7 a d the kids car through a 2 micron filter and into 45 gallons of diesel. A friend has an 86 blazer with the 6.2 or something like that and he will burn anything.

I did mix it in and cycle it with the pump for a half hour to mix well and polish the fuel.

Circuit my buddy the price isnrightbas his truck will burn turds if necessary and oh yes it runs like a turd too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.