Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removeable staircase woes

Good evening all,
    Mad Hatter (A 38' DCFB that wants to grow up to be a 48' LRC) has 3 sets of removable stairs throughout the boat. In each case, the staircases are fastened to the wall by a simple metal clip arrangement at the top of the stairs. This arrangement is generally good, but it has allowed the staircase to pop out unexpectedly from time to time.
    The other day, the biggest staircase, a 4 or 5 step case let go as I stood on the top step, dumping me and my pride all over the salon floor. Ouch indeed. Once I was out of the hospital, I swore I would replace those ridiculous brackets with something that would not let go.
    So here is the question for those of you with these removable stairs: Is there an easy way to anchor the bottoms, or perhaps a replacement bracket that won't let go? I was considering a dead bolt arrangement at the base. I have been searching the net with no clear alternatives presented.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

Re: Removeable staircase woes

I had the same system in my Chris Craft. I used thru bolts with lock nuts and washers. Seemed to solve the problem. Not sure if yours are the same but if they are give it a try.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

3. Re: Removeable staircase woes

When I had a 38 DC we experienced the same issue ( the Admiral took the spill)and I added a simple “L” bracket at the bottom step with a wing bolt for easy removal.

That’s a great idea.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If they drop into place is there any chance that dowels mounted into or behind the bottom kick face would work? The dowels would mate up with holes in the floor and come out with the steps.
    Regards
    Dan

Use metal not wood dowels and be sure the bottom of the step is strong enough to handle that stress.

L brackets with screws. the wingbolts goes into the deck is a good solution. It does not put stress on the end grain and the wingbolts are easy to take out.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Are the wing nuts a "stub" hazard? I was thinking the dowels could be mounted something like a dead bolt.
    Regards
    Dan

They sit inside or outside of the steps depending on how its constructed.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Hello all,
    Some good ideas in the responses here. Thank you all.
    I think I will likely try a medium sized dead bolt, attached to the inside of the staircase stringers. (both sides).
    I have the same type of bracket on the stairs from the bridge to the aft deck. Not wanting to drill into the fiberglass deck, I will figure out something different here.
    Thanks again everyone. I will post some pics when completed.
    Boat hauls out on Friday for the season. Therapy starts Saturday. Bring on Spring!
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

I changed one of my staircases (called ladders at sea) from the slide in brackets on top to a pair of
    breakaway hinges on the bottom. In order to remove the stairs just slide them sideways. Breakaway
    hinges are available at most marine supply stores including Worse Marine. Some are available with
    stops to prevent accidental breakaway.

Walt