Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Incoming 50 AMP Help

Hello,

Though I have been using the forum for close to two years, this is my first post so I hope I get this right.

We have a 1981 61 MY with dual dockside connections on both the port and starboard side of the pilot house. This week, we had the alarm go off meaning we lost power (which would most normally be a blown fuse on the boat side or a tripped breaker on the dock. Unlike every other time, both the breaker and fuses are just fine. The cord and the panel show power - but I cannot get that power to any of the three services below. (Forcing us to run on 1 cord).

The electrician has been out twice, but nothing solved. He has found we can run 1 line of each side, but not two on both. That can work ok at home (barely), but on the road we likely will have trouble reaching both sides regularly.

I do not know of any breakers between the incoming panel and the main electric panel. I haven;t found the wiring diagrams, but will be looking this weekend. Any tips?

Thanks so much,

Patrick

1981 61 Hatteras MY
    Hattrick
    Dunedin, FL
    727-460-5772
    Patrick Donoghue
    1981 61MY "Hattrick"
    Dunedin, FL

Re: Incoming 50 AMP Help

Is this what your panel looks like? Plug both cords into one side. Shore line selectors should both be switched to 1 or 3. Does the top meter read 230v on both panels when switch is set to “shore”? If yes is transformer breaker tripped? Does it feel like it is working properly? Are the source 1 and 2 shore line breakers on and feel like they are working? Check to make sure there are no fuses or breakers in the genny room near the transformers.
    Attached Images
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Hi Patrick: I have a 1980 61 MY purchased this past March 2018 and still learning the boat. I had the same problem loosing all the 110 v feeding the boat. Good shore power coming in, but a dead boat. I found a super secret hidden breaker box with two 50 amp breakers that had tripped after a 2 day search. This breaker box was located in a small lower cabinet just forward of the washer/dryer. I had caused the breaker to trip by overloading the systems while testing. Hope this might help and good luck. I have the original schematics and it did not show that breaker box. Paul

If it works on one side but not the other, then it can't be the islolation transformer that is bad. It also can't be the cord or the dock.

It could be the shot gun fuses or the connections behind those fuses. Do you show a light on the panel indicating you are getting power to the main panel from that input on that side of the boat??
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

X2 on what Sky said.

Search forum for notorious shotgun fuses, which need annual attention like the power cord plug.

DAN

If there is power to the panel, it is not fuses either. must be breaker after main 240v panel. our panels are in the engine rooms.
    These are good to have onboard.klein-tools-voltage-tester-ncvt-1sen-64_1000.jpg
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

It sounds like shore line 1 works on both sides but not shore line 2. Or vice versa. I would look for the hidden transformer breaker
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

This is how you follow the power.

1) it comes from the plug to the shot gun fuses
    2) from the fuses to the main panel
    2a) there is another panel for switching from 240v to 120v input but only input #1 (it goes here before the iso-trans)
    3) from the top breakers in the panel to the isolation transfomers
    4) from the transformer to the lower breakers in the panel that feed each ships service
    Sky Cheney

Sky,

Quick question. Where is item 2A located on your boat? Thx.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Sky,

Quick question. Where is item 2A located on your boat? Thx.
    stbd engine room on the bulkhead adjacent to the hallway.
    Sky Cheney