Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 53 m/y

Re: 53 m/y

I saw that and didn’t want to make fun of the much S**t.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

All the money in the room, but a really beautiful boat in the photos. Looks like she's at AYB from the photos- that looks like the ICW. And, 8-71sm which is what I would want in this boat. Evidently one engine was majored?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    And a really, really big holding tank, 1683 gallons!
    My wife says that's just perfect for me......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

If she’s on board buy it before she changes her mind. lol
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It's right up there price wise....

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    If she’s on board buy it before she changes her mind. lol
    The holding tank, not the boat.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    It's right up there price wise....

I looked at another freshwater 53MY in very similar condition this summer. Ask was $269k and no broker. My thoughts are:

1) how much would it cost to get a lesser example into this condition
    or
    2) how many choices will you have if you want to own an old Hatt MY in this condition

There obviously are not too many choices so you're going to pay more, but there is no way you could replicate it for less.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You are so right Sky, I’ve seen friends buy bargain boats thinking they will fix them up only to find the 30K budget grows to 100K plus. That’s if you do most of the work yourself. I have a friend who bought a 53 YF for 65K. Two years and 135K later he still has two years worth of work to do before the wife starts to decorate. That’s when the big money starts. Lol. It’s always cheaper to buy one complete.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    You are so right Sky, I’ve seen friends buy bargain boats thinking they will fix them up only to find the 30K budget grows to 100K plus. That’s if you do most of the work yourself. I have a friend who bought a 53 YF for 65K. Two years and 135K later he still has two years worth of work to do before the wife starts to decorate. That’s when the big money starts. Lol. It’s always cheaper to buy one complete.
    While I am NOT going to argue that the "double the budget, triple the time" rule frequently rears it's ugly head here too, I also find the generalization you are making inaccurate.

I have several friends that have rehabbed boats that were less than "complete"..... I've done it myself.

One has a 38 foot sailboat in his shop (yes it's a big shop) It's from the 70's when they built things to last. He took it down to an empty hull. He put in a rebuilt motor, tanks, interior, electrical, electronics.... He equipped it to go to Ireland with and see his ancestral lands as he will not set foot on an airplane. He does everything, up to and including the fabrication of stainless steel hardware. The engine cost him $500 plus $1500 for the rebuild, which he did himself. He painted it and it is the fairest prettiest hull I've ever seen. The boat looks better than the Hinkley's I saw at the boat show this weekend. He built, and got street legal a 25,000 pound GVWR trailer to haul it around. It's taken him 5 years and he is still under 100K. He is on schedule and on budget.

Another bought a Dutch seventies era motor sailor. He's slowly redoing the systems in it. One at a time. Electrical, windows, paint, galley and on and on. It was functional but tired when he got it. It has been functional all along, going on five years now. We go on trips on it regularly. It now looks pretty darn yachtie. He is on schedule and on budget.

I bought a 42 foot sailboat myself, for 65 cents on the dollar out of foreclosure. Tired and dirty but not destroyed. I spend three months and 30K on it. Then I sailed it for 6000 miles and sold it in 2008 which was not a good year for selling boats. I got all my money back. I'll get a nice one... but close to 300 large for a 53 is not in my plans.

There are a lot of dreamers that overestimate what it takes to do it, and what their skills are. Then there are people can CAN do it, and have done it.......

Now I realize that if you have to paint, rebuild engines, fox some soft spots and redo the windows and a "few things more" on a Hatt, you very quickly are not going to get your money back, ever. That said, in my case that will be for the estate to deal with, or I will have gotten 15-20 years out of it and I won't care. But in the meantime I will have a boat that I will know every nook and cranny because I've worked it, and that's set up the way I want it.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-12-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

everything but the WD looks done. worth the $$ for a Hatt buyer. x3 on Sky and Seven comments.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750