Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 53 m/y

Re: 53 m/y

Look up cost of rebuilding two 8v71TI’s with all new starters, new super chargers, fuel lines, filters etc. add bow and stern thrusters installed, new paint job top to bottom, new props, 3 coats barrier coating after patching 500 plus blisters. All new gauges for both stations. New heads 1200.00 each. All new hoses, all new batteries. Can you see how fast it adds up? If I wanted I could fill this page with more like all new electronics more than 30k alone. Just glad it’s him and not me.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I agree with most comments, however if you can do the work yourself, and say you put in as much or even a little more than you could buy a nice boat for, there are differences. You now have a boat done exactly as you want it with new stuff not used stuff. I don’t care how much you pay for a boat it will have a lot of stuff that will not be what you want or will not be new. In my case I redid a cheap 53 MY, but I now have a brand new generator, new paint, remodeled to my taste etc etc. and I still do not have any where near what it would sell for in it, but I did 90% of the work my self, so it can be done. But definitely not a project for everyone, know your abilities and limitations. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Ii think a lot of this comes down to whether you want to spend your time working on your boat, or boating. Each point of view has its champions.

The average age of my customers now is around 70. If the buyers want to go boating, most don't have an abundance of years or the desire to do a refit before they want to throw the lines off and go. Nice turn-key boats are the preferred buy for most.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Ii think a lot of this comes down to whether you want to spend your time working on your boat, or boating. Each point of view has its champions.
    Well said. I like projects.... Also like to go on trips, but spending a few weeks in port futsing now and then is just as enjoyable. My lovely bride is good with either.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Agree with Sea Eric and others. Eric knows the difference between a Nice Boat and a Pristine one. The $300,000 'pristine' example VS the $100,000 fixer upper will leave you $750,000 ahead. Every Day.

I agree with Eric. A 53 hatteras is not a sail boat by any Strech. You can not take the interior woodwork on a worn out Hatteras and make it look like this 53 with out installing new wood. I have been aboard this 53 and she also has new batteries $5,000 new air on the aft deck $5,000. along with brand new top an enclosure 15,000. Stidd chairs alone are probably $10,000. And look like new. It all adds up $. This 53 is really turn key in every way. You can really see a big difference in a boat that has been in fresh water --no corrosion!

Another turn key boat. Then the real world takes over.

On a relatively new turn key boat we found the mechanic who replaced the impeller for the buyer for up both housings by using a screwdriver to pry out the impeller instead of using the bolt (cummins). The boat had temp creep on the delivery. We pulled both heat exchangers and aftercoolers were replaced while the bottom was done.

When we relaunched we could not get the stbd engine to prime. Opened the pump and found a mess.

Looks can be deceiving. You'll find all the things they hid in the first few months.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I went aboard this boat today. Looks better than the pictures . The broker said he had sold it before ,he said it has always been well taken cared for . This is the 5th owner,originally in the Great Lakes,next was the Chesp. Bay, Annapolis then the Rapahannock River area , always wintered at Atlantic Yachts , Norfolk under cover. 2300 total hrs., generator replaced and one engine majored ( in place). Interior fit and finish is excellent,very tasteful,clean as a pin,new Bimini top etc. he said it had refinished in areas of the hull,but looked great ,it was under shed not in the sun. I was impressed but I‘am no expert, I had forgotten how livable these yachts can be, if you are in the market sure would be worth a look .Broker said previous surveys of boat and engines were great.Guess I will buy another lotto ticket. Regards Edward PS, how they got the SubZero fridge down in the gallery must be magic,that thing is big!