Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

Re: Nobody Talking About Michael?

Gruesome.

The devastation challenges my concepts of coastal construction and hurricane hole.

The structures still standing say something for post Andrew Hurricane code building. I've never understood why beach real estate prices never seem to recognize the difference between pre and post Andrew construction. But the video made me think about whether one would prefer to own something left standing in the devastation or just gone. So maybe the pricing has reflected that reality in some way.

The video did not show any boats whose preparation and location saved them. It makes me think my own hurricane prep plans are mere fantasy in the face of a storm of that magnitude.

It's sunny and beautiful again here in Tampa but applying the images of that video to my surroundings makes me question some choices. I should probably watch some wild fire, flood and blizzard videos to calm down. You can pay a lot of state income tax before hitting the break even point from a storm like that and maybe even the fear that it can happen to you and quite suddenly.

Lastly, we should all hope to live among people like the ones in the video who somehow woke up the next day and without time for sorrow, reflection, or pity went to work on the clean up and the future. I hope if faced with the same situation I would match their strength and not be alone but no one really knows if they are that "guy" until faced with the reality seen in the video.

We share this forum for our love of boats and the coastal life which means a lot of members will learn whether or not they are that "guy" someday.

Good luck to Mexico Beach and all of us.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY extended)
    Tampa
    Last edited by Freestyle; 10-12-2018 at 08:58 AM.