Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 1998 43' cnv lifting strakes located in the bow area

Now that we understand what we're looking at....
    My guess is these "strakes" are causing your issue.
    Wish I could find a photo for you, saw a "block" in a similar position on a 60ish foot Weaver.
    Of course I had to find out what the hell was going on, it was Blount's fix because the boat ran too flat.
    With the blocks it raised the bow and allowed them to control the bow angle via trim tab. Just a single block on each side, it looked like a 2"x10" glassed on with a pretty hard edge.
    Now the real question is why did the PO install them, and even more curious is why are they at 2 different angles?
    Any possibility this is a fix for some sort of hull flexing issue?? Or something else?
    Last edited by Cricket; 10-10-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by JACKPOT View Post
    The boat just pushes a lot of water at cruise 19-22.5 knots which is not efficient.
    From what I'm learning so far the words "efficient" and "Old Hatteras" should not be used in the same sentence. It will, however get you home in one piece when the snot starts flying. I guess you could add a lot of hor$epower to beat the laws of physics into submission..... Or get a lighter boat.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The series 1 41c had an efficient hull and ran pretty well with the limited hp available in the 60's.

So did some other early models. Other models like the 42c and series 2 36 needed more power than available.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The brown lines in the picture look like an attempt at a "stepped" hull. Basically a moulded in tab for the bow area. Many manufacturers are now using this technique to get air under the middle of the hull to create separation from the water, reduce hydrodynamic friction and go faster. Works, but not as an add on.

Lifting Strakes work very well for hulls like these. A longitudinal spray rail looking item glassed onto the hull (both sides) running bow to amidships, creating another running surface. The lift works as you can see on many deep-v hulled boats (Bertram). It adds anti flexing strength to all hulls and can cause a bit of pounding effect that was not there before, but usually minimal.

IF you really want to spend some money, reduce the angle of the propellor shafts and even tunnel them.

Lastly (probably should have been first) change propellers. To lift the stearn, increase diameter and/or number of blades. The opposite is also true. To make the aft end squat, reduce diameter and/or blades. In both cases you will have to play with pitch. a great propshop can work wonders. I prefer old world prop companies over highly computerized. Seems to me experience trumps technology.

Oh, and nice boat by the way.

You may need to talk to the factory, Bruce Angel used to call them “tobacco strips” and they may have been used to keep the boat from leaning over, a dynamic stability issue. Find out who put them on, taking them off may give you unintended consequences.Not so sure this was a Hargrave hull, there were a lot of “cooks in the kitchen” during this period.

Doubt very much a WOT of 22.5 knots is fast enough to create enough suction to get this hull to lay over like on some much faster boats.
    If it was me I would remove, take it for a ride, and then continue with the bottom job and any other modifications.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Did you ever remove those two strakes on the bow? If so, how did it change the ride?I am looking at buying an express 43 with the same strakes. Bow rides high.But if I trim down so I can actually see. Boat plows and slows 1.5-2 knots at same RPM and engine load goes up.

Found the correct name for the hull add ons in the photo, laminar flow seperator.
    2 possible reasons to add them, break suction to stop what's referred to as "keel walk" and or to raise the bow.
    Pretty common fix to help get the bow up for a boat that runs too flat.

What's odd to me is all of the ones I've scene have been angled towards the stern, not the bow as in the photo.
    Last edited by Cricket; 11-05-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns