Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some stats......

Still have some time before I can make my move. Have been studying the market to see what we want and of course we keep coming back to the Hatties. (53MY/53ED/58MY/58LRC) So, I have time to track some of these and see trends.... In fact, I would like to find a broker to give me the sold data on these as they disappear off YW (IF they sell).....

There are currently 40 53's listed this side of the Rockies, USA only.

Based on listings (I know, not always reliable):

22: 53 Motor Yacht: 5 Naturals, 2 6V92's, one Cummins and the rest 8V71Ti's
    7: 53 Extended Deckhouses all 8v71Ti
    8: 53 Convertibles (didn't look at the motors)
    1: 53 Yacht Fish (did't look at the motors)

18: 58'

4: 58 Yacht Fish
    2: 58 Tri Cabin
    6: 58 Motor Yacht, of which 2 "salon galley" versions
    1: 58 Cockpit Motor Yacht

5: 58 LRC
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-09-2018 at 04:35 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Some stats......

I'm not sure what this will tell you. These are all old boats in varying condition (most not too great). The price is all dependent on condition.

A better question is, "what can you afford?" If you can afford the best condition Hatt of that size out there, then go find the best one. If not, then take a look at your budget and figure on looking within that knowing that you may spend half of it bring one up to seaworthy condition.

But trying to negotiate with a seller based on what other boats of the same size and age have sold for will do nothing for you. They are all just too different. Different condition, different equipment, and different upgrades. Just find the boat you like and can afford and make the best deal you that you can.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-09-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

But trying to negotiate with a seller based on what other boats of the same size and age have sold for will do nothing for you.
    Agreed. But knowing what sells and what doesn't and what a nice one REALLY goes for is good to know.

For now it looks like there's a lot of them for sale, and they aren't moving fast. Something tells me this list may get longer.... or not. I gotta watch it.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Keep asking the questions until you get the answers you want.

They may not be true, accurate or even reasonable but thats not the issue
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Keep asking the questions until you get the answers you want.

They may not be true, accurate or even reasonable but thats not the issue
    \

Not my first rodeo podner. I actually have a pretty decent track record.

But I get the hint. Apparently it's not a subject discussed in polite company here. I'll hide the files.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-09-2018 at 10:49 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I see no problem discussing it. I just don't see how this is going to help. What are you trying to buy? The boats that aren't selling are not the ones in the best condition. Those sell. How much of a project are you looking for?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

As I stated way at the top, the budget has not been determined yet. There will be enough to buy a halfway decent one plus the money for the TLC it will no doubt require, but not a "start from scratch" project. It'll be quite usable in between projects. Healthy engines, working AC's, no soft spots in the deck, no screaming need for paint. Electronics I can update, as well as galleys and soft goods. Any and all engine room maintenance. Bottom jobs, bright work. Time and some money, but nothing crazy.

Now depending on how the home stretch to retirement pans out we might very well be able to go out and cherry pick the finest in the land. And if the DOW hits 40K this will be next week. Otherwise I have to finish my four years. I can get a head start though in about two.

Meanwhile I'm entertaining myself getting to know the boats, and the market.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-10-2018 at 12:00 AM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I see no problem discussing it. I just don't see how this is going to help. What are you trying to buy? The boats that aren't selling are not the ones in the best condition. Those sell. How much of a project are you looking for?
    Very well put. In reading the thread, two points come to mind:
    -Don't buy to sell at a profit. Buy to enjoy knowing you can sell.
    -Don't be dissuaded by someone else's asking price. Find the boat you want and make the offer you can afford. Don't be shy and don't be concerned about emotions.

There are several boats on the market. That ebbs and flows. Why? Because there are a lot of these boats built, they last the test of time, and folks sell for a variety of reasons. When I sold my 53c there was likely 20 of them on the market. Mine sold.

Watching the market is fine and dandy. Having a budget and plan of attack while doing so is critical. Be a shame to miss the perfect boat due to a cash shortage .
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    Watching the market is fine and dandy. Having a budget and plan of attack while doing so is critical. Be a shame to miss the perfect boat due to a cash shortage .
    Yup.... and there is a plan. Unfortunately not ready to set it in motion yet. Without getting into too much detail, the money is there I just can't get to it until I sign my retirement paperwork. And yes, I may see a few nice ones slide by without being able to grab them.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay